Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back form the vet with my russian rat snake. i had seen some suspicious huffing a few days back so monitored it. seemed like he was trying to clear dirt from his nostril so when it went on to the next day i booked him in and cleared the viv out and put him on newspaper until i knew what was going on. vet said its faint but worth treating and should be good to shift with a course of antibiotics. so i have got some injections to give him (she showed me how to administer them properly) over the next couple of weeks. dont know what caused it, his viv is clean and parameters are kept in check and monitored daily. vet didnt see anything obvious in my care either. might have picked something up from going out on the lawn or something like that. she seemed confident that it will be straightforward though.

if anyone is in the area then i would recommend "Taylor & Marshall" vets in Shifnal. the vet kwas very knowledgeable and is a reptile keeper herself. i was braced for having to explain the why on everything but never needed to. they were also happy to show me what they found so i knew what to look for in future too.

Registered
Well done for catching it early. I'm guessing you've been prescribed Ceftazidime ? - the stuff is amazing, sorted out my Boa's RI which was quite serious after being mis-diagnosed by a previous vet which allowed it to develop more than the initial sniffle...

Registered
I used my mum鈥檚 old portable nebuliser to spray diluted F10 into a small tank with a Royal Python that had a moderate dose of RI

I nebulised every day for 25 minutes for 7 days and it made a complete recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm guessing you've been prescribed Ceftazidime ?
yeah thats the stuff. she seemed pretty confident that would do the job.

i have heard that the F10 nebuliser things can be useful and the vets themselves use it, but i wouldnt be sure of quantities and i dont have a nebuliser. maybe something to look into though.

Registered
yeah thats the stuff. she seemed pretty confident that would do the job.

i have heard that the F10 nebuliser things can be useful and the vets themselves use it, but i wouldnt be sure of quantities and i dont have a nebuliser. maybe something to look into though.
The quantities are online somewhere on the F10 website- as I found them .. but it鈥檚 something like 1:250 but don鈥檛 quote me :)

One part F10 to 250 parts boiled/distilled water

So it鈥檚 ridiculously diluted stuff you nebulise - then it鈥檚 just a case of finding a small plastic tub with a secure lid ..I put the tub in a separate viv for security- snakes are cheeky beggars.

The odd thing I noticed was the snake usually wrapped itself around the nebuliser - I thought they wouldn鈥檛 like the noise and vibration

The nebulisers are under 拢20 brand new off eBay

Registered
I'm assuming it's a particular F10 product used, as they have a whole range? Asking as wondering if worth keeping some in as part of a basic first aid kit?
There was only one on the shelf when I got mine .. recommended by our vet as an all purpose antiseptic/disinfectant

Registered
There was only one on the shelf when I got mine .. recommended by our vet as an all purpose antiseptic/disinfectant

The company do several products, disinfectant being one, hence my asking which F10 product. For RI I'd imagine the antiseptic one is needed. Not sure I'd want to use disinfectant as an inhaled treatment 馃槵

Registered
The company do several products, disinfectant being one, hence my asking which F10 product. For RI I'd imagine the antiseptic one is needed. Not sure I'd want to use disinfectant as an inhaled treatment
I really don鈥檛 know .. you use it extremely diluted soooo ..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
he had his last injection today. he took the whole thing like a champ. even today when he is deep in shed, which cant be fun. couldnt hear anything in his breathing today and he hasnt been holding his mouth open or anything so hopefully the meds have done their job.

not going to mess with the viv or anything until he is done with his shed. he doesnt take too long from this point so that should give me time to assess things. relatively quickly. i'm looking forward to getting him off the paper again. it does the job but it doesnt give him a particularly interesting environment.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
right then, it seems like its cleared up now. he has shed well, eating happily (not that he ever stopped), behaving normally (back to trying climb on my head while cleaning up), and cant hear anything in his breathing. i have been maintaining quarantine procedure as best i can. i would like to get him back on to substrate though.

would you guys leave it for a period of time after it looks cleared? his course of meds is well over and seems fine so theoretically it should be fine but i would hate to be hasty and relax quarantine procedures too soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts