Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

iv searched but dont seem to be finding the answer, maybe im not just looking hard enough so i appologise if its an always asked Q

were hoping to get our new royal sometime between today and sat (just sold our motorbike :( so waiting for funds to clear).

now i want to get this right first time, i know all the kit we need to go inside its just the placing of things i need to question.

so we have an insulation layer (such as cork) the heat mat sits on this then the faun sits on top, does my stat probe go on the mat or on the plastic of the faun under the substrate, should my thermometer probe go on the plastic under the substrate or at the top of the substrate. There seems to be a lot of varying opinions when i search these 2 things in google.

I guess the posistion of the water bowl will be variable depending on the humidity in the faun, starting of on the cooler side and moving towards the warm if the humidity is to low.

Many thanks Brett

·
Registered
981 Posts
As you said yourself - opinions vary - I don't run my setups on heat mats - I use bulbs but if I were i would have the stat set on the inside if the faunarium on the plastic/glass where it meets the heatmat, as your snake will probably clear away the substrate under a hide etc to get to the heat.
Water defo depends on humidity, i have my large water dish on the cool side but I also mist the inside of my vivs with a bog standard water sprayer from poundland.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, this is what i was thinking as far as the stat, would you put the thermometer probe in the same place or on top of the substrate?

This is only for while the snake is young, when we reach the point where he will be comfortable in a viv we will be switching to ceramic heating.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Stick the thermometer on top of the substrate since this is where you need the temp to be right, if you find he buries a lot and moves the substrate and sits right on the floor, the probe will mostly likely end up underneath him anyway but you can choose to leave it on the plastic or not then.

You can either put the thermostat probe inside the faun on the floor or stick it to the mat outside the faun - putting it inside means you'll have to create a larger hole in the lid since they don't have any.

The reason there are several opinions is for this reason, none are wrong it's just what people have found to be the best places for the snakes and as you get to know yours you'll find out what works best with him better.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right so i picked up all the kit needed yesterday, inc a pulse stat mat n faun, set it all up and got it running ready to pickup today, problem is it blows, while the stat would start pulsing and the temp was right on the plastic base there was just no heat above the substrate, i tried everything and the air space / top of the substrate is just not getting warm enough, The chap im getting the snake from has saved me and i now have a glass viv with IR heater and a normal on off stat and lots of hiding places, temps are all lvled out perfectly, and medussa (meds) my new royal is in, just waiting for her to decide to venture out of her older smaller container.....

now my question is, would it be wrong to take the pulse stat and heat mat back to the other shop i got it from based on the fact it just didnt do what it needed and was supposed to do. the rest of the kit i got from there i can find uses for.

·
Registered
557 Posts
if youve still got the reciepts and boxes and you dont need them then why not , get ure dollar back and put it towards another snake : victory:

as for the glass viv ( i assume you mean basicly a fish tank with a lid)
then i would seriously consider investing in a wooden or fiber glass viv as thet hold heat and humidity much better

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Well done on sorting although another solution would have been to swap your mat for a larger, higher wattage mat hehe.
I find using an 11watt mat under fauns works better than the smaller 7watt ones.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we got a 12w mat and the stat was kicking in so it wasnt like the mat couldnt cope...

yes its a fish tank, not the best i know, but better than the plastic faun and a wooden viv is planned (building a nice one out of some good old furniture, enough room for 2 or 3 vivs and 1 arborea vivl), for now the fish tank with viv lid has some stick on scenery so its not so open and we have put polystyrene back, sides and top on it to help better insulate warm side is 32-33 and cool 25-26 mid area is 28 ish.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
right so i picked up all the kit needed yesterday, inc a pulse stat mat n faun, set it all up and got it running ready to pickup today, problem is it blows, while the stat would start pulsing and the temp was right on the plastic base there was just no heat above the substrate, i tried everything and the air space / top of the substrate is just not getting warm enough, The chap im getting the snake from has saved me and i now have a glass viv with IR heater and a normal on off stat and lots of hiding places, temps are all lvled out perfectly, and medussa (meds) my new royal is in, just waiting for her to decide to venture out of her older smaller container.....

now my question is, would it be wrong to take the pulse stat and heat mat back to the other shop i got it from based on the fact it just didnt do what it needed and was supposed to do. the rest of the kit i got from there i can find uses for.
The mat and pulse stat have done exactly what they are suppossed to do. you wont get much increase in temps above the mat. Do you have a ceramic now on a on/off stat? If so i would use the pulse stat with the ceramic. Is the ceramic guarded(only checking)Put some pics up.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The mat and pulse stat have done exactly what they are suppossed to do. you wont get much increase in temps above the mat. Do you have a ceramic now on a on/off stat? If so i would use the pulse stat with the ceramic. Is the ceramic guarded(only checking)Put some pics up.
Well i learnt something then :2thumb: . i thought the heat would rise up and heat the substrate/air to. this is my first snake but in my mind that makes heat mats for royals or any snake that doesnt like our lower climates to be pretty much a waste of time, sure there bellys are warm, but what about all that cooler air there breathing in and absorbing this is how i catch colds in the winter, wrapped up all nice n warm but breathin in cold air.

Were actually using a 40W red night spot lamp (not ir as i first posted) controlled by a microclimate ministat 300, this was thrown in with the clear seal tank for a total of 30 quid :2thumb:. Not ideal but the temps dont seem to fluctuate that much and its staying nice and stable so im looking to stick with this setup for a while.

No the light wasnt guarded when i set it up :/ the chap said he didnt have any in to fit this tank (but he can get them in) and he thought she wouldnt be able to reach up there.... Doh when she came out of hiding she was all over and sure enough can reach the top of the tank and found a nice ledge to climb on up there, 5 mins of faffing outside in the dark n i had a make shift guard, will be popping out today to find a propper one.

She seems to be sttling in well, certainly likes exploring the front of the viv and climbing, She didnt show any signs of stress or aggression towards me when i approached the viv to check temps and even came towards my hand seemingly trying to crawl on it even if the glass front was in the way.

cant wait to handle her but for now just changing the water, checking temps and making sure she is ok n settling in.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
May sound like I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs... but is the viv one with a very secure lid and mesh at top or is it a typical fish tank plastic lid?.... if the latter, you really do need to take extra care to make sure there is no way there are any small gaps your new babe can get out - including making sure the top is weighted down (or strapped down) enough to ensure your little luvvie cannot push it up slightly and squeeze through! They are amazing escape artists, and would hate to read in a few days about a lost snakie! Also dependant on the size of your snake, ensure the holes in the light guard are small enough for it not to be able to squeeze through and wrap itself round bulb :gasp:

Best of luck with your new little luvvie!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
May sound like I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs... but is the viv one with a very secure lid and mesh at top or is it a typical fish tank plastic lid?.... if the latter, you really do need to take extra care to make sure there is no way there are any small gaps your new babe can get out - including making sure the top is weighted down (or strapped down) enough to ensure your little luvvie cannot push it up slightly and squeeze through! They are amazing escape artists, and would hate to read in a few days about a lost snakie! Also dependant on the size of your snake, ensure the holes in the light guard are small enough for it not to be able to squeeze through and wrap itself round bulb :gasp:

Best of luck with your new little luvvie!

Yup its a fish tank but its got a proper viv conversion lid on it, nice and heavy and secure with meshed vents, just to be safea table lamp has been placed on top to weigh it down

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
switched over to a proper ceramic screw fit lamp holder, ir light (red spot seemed a bit intense and was affecting our heads) and a proper square mesh lamp guard that had to be taken apart and re-made smaller (whats with only stocking larger sizes cause they only cost 50p more :/)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this is how its looking inside atm shes hiding in the hide im afraid, nxt job will be some exterior stick on viv graphics so i can get the poly fixed up properly without the tape, yes theres a nasty dial therm in there, but its just for quick reference on the cool side, i also move the digi probe over from the hot side to check it.

the large fake redish pinkish ivy was a bargain for £4 from a local place that sells fake flowers. should give her plenty of hide places and make the viv seem not as scary

1 - 19 of 19 Posts