Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so the first sign something was wrong with my eggs was when Freya attacked the first one. Now they have been in the incubator for 9 days and I knew a few of the eggs didn't look right but i had hope. Two of them have started to shrink or shrivel up.

I had had a few problems with the incubator, the first heat source blew and i had to set up another and test the temps with the eggs in it. after two days the temps are good but i have signes of some bad eggs. I'm worried there all bad what signs can i look for and how long do i wait before giving up (which i don't want to do I'm very very Sad :( here but dont want to give up.)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
try increasing the humidity to re-hydrate the collapsed eggs.
Dont give up yet, post some pics for me! I'll tell you if they have failed for sure or if they are just dehydrated.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
agreed if eggs are shriveling then I suggest the humidity is to low... You could put some damn spagham moss over the top of the eggs.. That might get hydration to them quickly

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys I hope your right. although im not that confadent. Now i did candle them when they were laid, and they all had a red dot and veins that i'm asuming means they are fertile. ill post pics right now. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Here are pics i took today, the one looks like there is no hope. and i was worried about some of the others when they were layed. but they all candled fine mind you my first time but i did alot of reasearch. im worried and dont want to give up

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
is that vermiculite they are on? if so it looks very wet!! if the substrate is too moist the egg will absorb too much water which will kill any embryo and the egg will die..

there are five main reasons why your eggs could be collapsing:

too wet
too dry
too warm
too cold
infertile

i would look at the first four initially..set up another pot to put your vermiculite in, make sure it is just damp and not sopping wet (trick is to put wet it, put it in a teatowel and give it a good wring to take out most of the water)...get you temps correct and steady...then transfer any remaining good eggs over to the new vermiculite being careul not to turn them...

personally i think your vermiculite is too wet...is like putting eggs in a swamp...

hopefully you can save any remaining ones but if they still die they are most likely infertile and could actually be the reason why the female tried to bite them...she could have been trying to eat them to get something back from em as she knew they were no good...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No its not sooping wet it was very dry so i added a few drops of water between the eggs but i keep testing it so its not . but what your saying is it could be any reason atall that there shriveling. i added the wet towel over them and most or a few anyways look better but still not right not that i know what right is. but I can always change there container and vermiculite.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
just looks wet from the photos..uaually when the vermiculite clumps together it is too wet...either too wet or too dry is not a good thing. take a pinch of the vermiculite and squeeze it between your fingers. it should leave just a bit of water. if it drips it is too wet. if your fingers are not wet afterwards it's too dry...

i would try again and get the vermiculite to the correct moisture level cos that is one of the main reasons why eggs fail. be careful not to move the eggs too much. just lift and place in a thumb depression in the new vermiculite. should look something like this:

if you look closely you can see each grain of vermiculite this is a sign that it is at the correct water saturation point.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
HOLLY HELL!! HOW MANY EGGS!!!! LOL

Yes as stated you want the vermiculite clump, check everydau on the eggs and wipe away any condensation on the lid to avoid water dripping on the eggs. Although i have had occassions were some of my eggs have water marks on them and have hatched successfully. But please try to avoid getting them very wet!.

If the vermiculite is dry, then drip some water around the eggs (not ontop) and also, what temp are they incubated at??

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Becky Wheeler said:
HOLLY HELL!! HOW MANY EGGS!!!! LOL
about 120 give or take a few..had some more in another incubator..these were only the yemen eggs!! one female laid about 86 and the other the rest...is what happens when you have a house full of chamaleons!! :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya they were a bit dry so i added drops of water around the eggs but not on them. but i do open them everyday in the morning and at night to take away any unnessasary water on the lid. I know one is gone for sure and I'm sure you could tell which one from the pics but the others look much better after i added the damp towel over them to i guess they did get a little dehydrated. thank you so much for the help i will add new pics later so youcan see and maybe give more opinions!!!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
not to knock you but i think i can see about 5 that are gone..hopefully they can recover but they don't look great..when they go that yellow it isn't a good thing....
watch out putting anything on top of the eggs as this can in itself cause problems..check the water saturation in the vermiculite and if you need to add a bit more....in the wild the eggs don't have this problem as they share water. you have to compensate for nature and is not always an easy thing! :)

good luck...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya the yellow one's have been that way since she had them partly the reason i was worried about them i have 5 that look good. the others not so good. i changed their vermiculite the stuff they were in wasnt too wet but it was clumped together in places not sure what that means. but they are in new stuff. the paper towel i put on them wasnt really on them it was ontop of there container. I am hopeful but also relistic it was her very first cluch and she did attach one after laying them. but again i have hope.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts