Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you all remember your first snake?
What was it and what made you pick that one?
How did you become interested in keeping snakes?
How appropriate do you think it was as a first snake and looking back do you think you would have been better picking something else?

People on their first snake can comment too :D

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
My first snake was a mexi black kingsnake. She was given to me by a friend who was keeping her very poorly. I pestered them about it so much that in the end he just said "If youre that bothered then take her!"

She was quite a good first snake I think, not as dull as a corn but even tempered enough and easy enough to keep that I wasnt put off.

I dont remember how I got into snakes really as I had liked them long before I got one. I think it probabky started quite early on in my childhood as I was also quite obsessed with insects and amphibians.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
my first was a anerythrystic corn. i got it coz my local shop hs a deal on a corn and set up. bit of a rip off as it turned out.
i've always loved snakes as my grandma used to take me to a place called tropiquaria in somerset. they let you hold boa constrictors and they would also get a huge burmese python out that would take about 5 people to hold. just been fascinated since then and when i got old enough to completely disregard all of my mums wishes (she didn't want me to have one) i got my corn. best decision of my life.

·
Registered
777 Posts
My first snake was a non-feeding royal - definitely not a good first snake but it made me fall in love with them anyway LOL

·
Registered
675 Posts
oooh this is where I get giddy! You all know Mr Happy was my first snake! He's a Diones Ratsnake, and I couldnt have asked for a better beginner snake! Beautiful temprement! He's active, but not as mental as my brothers corn, he has tonnes of character too! He likes swimming and plays games and everything..... :D
Theyre also very easy to keep! adn bootiful iccle snakeys!
Loves him to bits!

·
Registered
17,937 Posts
hey! after weeks of waiting,and stressfully setting up my viv! got my first snake ! hes a three yr old corn snake" Ozzy" as didnt feel quite confident enough for little baby snake!, and hes a little star ,but my fella doesnt seem to think so! ! lol got him from woodys pets,in irlam so he was used to been handled which was a bonus been my first snake an all, deffo made the right choice in picking him! :D

·
Registered
675 Posts
aw wow! a growed up snakey!! congrats! cool name too! I can't wait for my boys to grow up!

·
Registered
17,937 Posts
lol,am already looking into gettin another,need to make space though! ! am so pleased at how tame he is,as i was a bit weary being a snake "virgin" but hes kool! even my dad wants one now! out of my famliy its just me and my dad in the snake fan club! x

·
Registered
675 Posts
Woop! I've somehow managed to convert nearly my whole family! I think the ones that are still scared to hold mr happy, will be more comfortable holding sausage, cos he's alot chunkier and slower. They all think mr happy will escape and bite em! bless!

oooh eck! they are soo addictive though! ya cant stop at one! well....i couldnt!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I inherited a poorly looked after corn from a colleague, his excuse was he had no time to look after it due to having kids, he should have got rid of it sooner as his youngest is 3! That's a long time to neglect a snake.
Many years and snakes later and I can't imagine life without them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Rach, i've been in woody's a few times and if you've bought the corn i think you have you ahve a great looking snake, nice and chunky, LOL.

The folks at woody'e are real helpful too, took a mate of mine there and he nearley walked out with a royal, HEHE

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mines was a black corn and she was the sweetest thing,used to take her in to school and teach the younger kids about reptiles.Then i got a garter snake and she was a bitch,very nippy.I've always had a love for snakes and now i can't see myself without one.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Mine was a Taiwan Beauty. Been interested in snakes since I was about 11, but that came from a love of creepy crawly things in my childhood, so it was only natural to progress onto snakes methinks :lol: I picked her because she was pretty. I wasn't going to get a Corn just because they are 'beginner' snakes, I have no interest in them so it didn't seem right to get one just because it is the easiest option. At the end of the day, I did my research, and I was friends with the shop owner who knew his beans, and had other friends I could call on if I needed help, but it all turned out great and she is by far the most fantastic snake I have kept :lol: And no, I don't think I would have been better picking something else. Like I said, I wasn't going to buy a 'beginner' snake just because it was an easy option. I took an interest in the Beauty, and I wouldn't have done with a Corn, they just aren't my cup of tea, and so in my mind, I made the right decision :lol:

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
i goy my first snake about five weeks ago. he or she is a carolina corn. but its my birthday in febuary, and have decided to get a blizzard corn. i love corns. i dinny know if i can wait till february though. its certainly carching isnt it!!!!!

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
mine was a snowcorn, got it nearly a year ago, fantastic first snake, but i quickly moved onto the bigger snakes.
Got into snakes when i went to a shop with my sister about 15 years ago and she dared me to hold their 6 foot albino burm,it was a lovely looking snake, bit worried when it was around my neck and the bloke in the shop was trying to get it to look at the camera. shes got the photo somewhere, took me a long time to get my first because i was never in a position to buy one before.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Mine was an Albino Nelsons Milk Snake. The boss brought it into work to sell, it was his daughters and she was'nt looking after it properly so he took it away from her. He was busy and asked me to set up a viv for it and put it in. I fell in love with it as soon as i picked it up it is still the tamest snake i own and i would'nt part with it for anything.

Della

1 - 17 of 17 Posts