Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there really any snake that's not DWA that you couldn't have as your first ? If you had the experience of handling a burm or a retic or a annaconda as long as you done your research ? Just seeing what people opinions are not planning on this

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I guess in theory no. If you've experience handling your snake of choice (I mean this in particular for the giants) and done loads of research. However, I personally wouldn't recommend any of the giants or those requiring a more delicate set up like some of the tree pythons as a first snake. If you've never kept a snake before you are going to make a few mistakes along the way because hands on experience is the ultimate teacher. There are other types of snake that are either more forgiving of sloppy husbandry or less likely to damage you so badly if you screw up at feeding time!

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Dwa = d___ w___ a___ (?)

er, what is: DWA?

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
I guess in theory no. If you've experience handling your snake of choice (I mean this in particular for the giants) and done loads of research. However, I personally wouldn't recommend any of the giants or those requiring a more delicate set up like some of the tree pythons as a first snake. If you've never kept a snake before you are going to make a few mistakes along the way because hands on experience is the ultimate teacher. There are other types of snake that are either more forgiving of sloppy husbandry or less likely to damage you so badly if you screw up at feeding time!
i agree with agate. In theory you could get anything as your first snake providing you know what your letting yourself in for and have researched to death, handled some adults etc. But also its the hands on that you ultimately learn by and its better to learn with a species that's not as high maintainence or dangerous as some coz as everyone does when you start off....new keepers WILL make mistakes and leran from them. Better to do this with a more hardy species then a very delicate one. It doesn't mean you have to start with a snake you don't really like as a stepping stone (i.e. Don't have a corn just for the experience even if they're not your cup of tea) go for something you still want in your snakey family regardless, learn with that....then go for your ultimate choice as a second snake :2thumb:

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
There are quite a few rear fanged species not on DWA that I certainly wouldn't recommend as a first snake. (This doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend any rear fanged species as a first snake, H.nasicus for example would be fine)

Remember DWA is there to protect the public, not the keeper. There are a fair few rear fanged snakes capable of delivering a very nasty bite, and if you haven't kept snakes before you would be less able to read body language etc, therefore more likely to get bitten. Some also tend to be flighty, and bad tempered.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is taking the step from having a Boa to a retic the jump is giant . I would say getting a retic as first when you have experience of handling them . While a person with a boa with no giant snake experience wouldnt be as ready ad the new guy ?

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I don't think it's possible to make broad sweeping generalisations about what is a sensible first snake. To do this, all keepers would need to be the same. As we know, some people pick things up quickly and are "naturals". Others never seem to learn anything, no matter how long they keep them.

It is also necessary to factor in whether a snake is purchased as a youngster, or an adult, WC or CB. Whether or not it has been handled regularly may be another factor.

I took these factors into consideration myself and decided that when all things were balanced, a young CB female bci was the snake for me as my first. As well as ticking all the right boxes in terms of being OK to look after, it was importantly, a species that I liked a lot as well.

Reactions: JonathanB

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
There are lots of interesting alternatives to corns, so don't feel pressured into getting something you don't like (but if you do like corns, that's great!). Pines, Bulls and various rats are nice snakes - which stay slender, for example. How about some natrix species? These are interesting and can be stunning looking snakes.

Pity you can't have a bci - they're awesome!

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
you can have a Bci, buy a dwarf locality, a male true dwarf won;t get any bigger than a good sized corn anyway. Smaller in some cases.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you know how to keep the snake correctly and feel confident enough to work with that specific snake on a daily basis.
I dont see why you couldnt have any snake as a first snake.

Experience is only worth something when you add confidence to it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I already agreed to pick up a corn in December any way lol . Although hopefully the snake will grow on my mum over the next year and I'll have my Boa lol. Im hoping I only end up with a Corn a Boa and maybe a GTP :) Back on topic any way , I suppose it does come down to the person , if it was me I'd go for a boa then get a burm then a Retic , I would get experience in handling both first though

·
Registered
347 Posts
You will get your boa soon.
Once you have one the addiction kinda takes over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts