Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey first things first I'm still awaiting my first bite so before it happens as I can feel it coming so I fort I'd ask how was ur lots first experience and how bad is the pain

·
Registered
22,115 Posts
Depends on the snake! My first was a corn snake bite and didn't hurt, just took me by surprise. Second was more painful as I got chewed on for a full 5 mins by a king snake. It got slightly infected and I didn't realise he had left a tooth in my hand till 2 weeks later!

·
Registered
692 Posts
What kind of snake do you keep?

I was tagged twice by my 'baby' boa and I barely felt it at all. :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I proudly got tagged by a 3 day old CCP

It tickled :lol2:

·
Registered
964 Posts
The pain was awful, at one stage I nearly cried but then my wife told me to pull myself together and pointed out it was only a hatchling corn snake. Behind every good male snakekeeper there is a good woman :whistling2:

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
As everyones said depends what snake, just remember dont pull away because it WILL hurt more. Deffensive bites hurt less than feeding response bites now they can hurt. I got bit by my 6 foot burm and it wasnt pleasent but your in such shock (unless your hard core snake keeper LOL) that it dosnt hurt until you realised whats happened and even then its no worse that when my girlfriends cat attacked me. :lol2:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
1st bite was from young royal and I had to question if she bit me asfelt more like she head butted me, then the blood started lol

2nd bite same royal didn't phase me at all, surprised by the bruising it left though

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
id say depending on the snake its more shock than pain due to the speed they move. And the majority of the time its keeper error. Just keep your wits about you and you;ll be waiting a while, so just forget about it and enjoy your snake hun : victory:

as for first bites, mine was from 2 common boas, a baby, and a 1 year old in the space of 5seconds. STUPID newbe error, in my genius i was keeping them together in the same viv and thought itd be ok to feed them together...baby struck at her food, missed and bit my finger, in the meantime the bigger one snuck round the back of the viv and bit me on the elbow :devil: SOOOOOO glad in know better now lol...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
First bite I think was a hatchling cali king, could have been a corn before that but i remember the king better. It bit me many many times, couldn't even draw anymore than a single drop of blood until it got a lot bigger.

Doesn't hurt, more shock than anything. Lots bite and release, they don't hurt. Some chew but I end up laughing going your eyes are so much bigger than your belly :lol2:

First bigger bite did hurt, adult female bci, missed rat, in a low viv, got my knee, I was feeding in my PJ's so no protection. Would not let go for a few mins, ended up prodding with the rat for her to let go and grab that instead. Nicely bruised but that one hurt more due to where it was. Anything on arms/hands doesn't bother me.

So after waffling it depends on size of snake, the type of bite (food related or defensive) and where. I'm betting you will jump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The bite its self doesn't hurt of something medi-ocre in size its the speed that shocks you. you'll be fine and laugh when its happened that you even were wary of it :lol2:

·
Registered
936 Posts
1st bite was from my first ever snake 9 years ago which was a corn , found it quite comical ! , 2nd Royal hatchling my error feeding response! nothing to shout about , 3rd Adult female Royal my fault feeding time again! throbbed a tad ....then numerous bites of bitey hatchling carpets that dont hurt one bit but manage to draw blood :lol2:

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Only ever been bitten by the diddlers, rat snake and royal. Rat snake is evil, royal is grumpy.
As others have said, depends on the type, size and if its a love bite or feeding response.
My 8ft boa skimmed me once :gasp: scared the :censor: out of me..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
5 foot male bci, rosy boas and hopefully a burm soon and I have heard being bitten by a cat or a dog is far worse than a snake bite in a weird way I'm dying to get bitten so its ova and done with but at same time rather not HA

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
5 foot male bci, rosy boas and hopefully a burm soon and I have heard being bitten by a cat or a dog is far worse than a snake bite in a weird way I'm dying to get bitten so its ova and done with but at same time rather not HA
Id rather take on an aggresive 10 foot burm than an aggresive jack russel anyday.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I'd rather be bitten than the 8ft boa than the 6mo GSD : victory:

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
Most bites don't hurt that much except a big boa or blood python really packs a punch and then it's the bruising that hurts.

·
Registered
873 Posts
My first reptile bite was from a slow worm who grabbed the fleshy bit between thumb and fore finger and just hung there. My first from a snake was from a big female royal I had many years ago and I didn't actually notice I'd been bitten till I saw the blood.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My first was from a royal, its a bit like a papper cut very tiny bit of a sting but it dont really hurt more shock I think

1 - 20 of 24 Posts