Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time I've attempted to do any Viv customizing /crafting really so go easy on me :blush:

I don't have a snake yet so this is me in the process of setting up a home for one. I'll be looking at getting a Caulker Cay Boa so if there's any feedback/suggestions with what I'm doing then great.

I'm only at the point of crafting everything from polystyrene currently.

It's a 4x2x2 from BLR

Empty Viv just put together (My bearded dragon below :p)

I started making a hide before anything else for no particular reason

It won't be fixed in the viv and roof detaches so that I can clean it easily

Started marking out the walls

Then carving them

Left wall in

Both walls in

Center Door/Wall + pillars

Carved up the pillars

Will add more as I progress I guess but doubt it'll be quick as I'm at work all week :banghead:

Also unsure what to do with the last 2 panels; continue with the brick all round or add something like windows/symbols on them =/

There will be a raised platform/balcony I'll make for the right hand side.

Plus there's plants/branches and stuff I've got on order which I'll be trying to incorporate into the balcony/platform (which I'll be trying to turn into a raised hide)

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Very nice.... personally I'd go with some form of design either side of the pillars, maybe in a diamond or similar shape and then add brick effect around these?? :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice.... personally I'd go with some form of design either side of the pillars, maybe in a diamond or similar shape and then add brick effect around these?? :2thumb:
Ye I'd rather not carry on the brick around the whole thing tbh and I do wanna mix it up

I was toying with the idea of breaking away part of the wall and putting a picture so it looks like there's some sort of dungeon or landscape behind the wall/door. Figured that would be an easy way of using up majority of one of the panels and then the balcony would cover most of the other =/

Will brainstorm a bit more I guess :lol2:

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I am disappointed...... I thought you were building a snake not the inside of the viv, damn title :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
You have 24hrs to post the finished pics or else i will stand next to you and 'TUT' till your done :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks really good, but I have a feeling you will lose 90% of your detail as soon as you start grouting.
Ye I've got that in mind so I'll only be testing a small patch to see how it turns out

If need be I'll enhance the grooves on the brickwork to compensate if I can. Will have to see : victory:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Small update, don't get much done mid-week heh

Working on the back right panel

Decided I would go with the wall theme around the whole thing although break away a section to view a forest behind.

Started by making some small brick type enclosures to circle the vent holes - I think they're a little better of a finish

I then marked out the wall along with the "hole" I'd be putting in it

Hole itself

Panel fitted back in

Close up of the hole with an image I'm toying with using.

I can and probably will expand the hole a bit, the image is A4 so there's room for either a bigger hole or possibly adding a smaller one just below. Will see

To break up the brick theme that continues around the whole Viv I have alot of fake hanging plants which I figure I'll drape down the back to cover up some of the brickwork and something different :p

This is only me holding it, just toying with what it would look like.

Hopefully get the back left done tomorrow but we'll see :D

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Looks great. Looking forward to the end product.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Small update for this evening

Pretty much the same as yesterday so I didn't bother with another photo of marked out brickwork :p

I've used a bigger hole this time round

And the entire thing so far...

After Tomcannon's suggestion of a "barricade" over the second hole I've ended up here

May tweak this slightly, not sure yet

If it's not clear in the pictures that's a charging werewolf on the left :p

Will be making a balcony of sorts for the right side next, possibly as a high level hide.

Hopefully get to work on that this weekend : victory:

·
Full Time Mother of Fourteen.
5,577 Posts
Small update for this evening

Pretty much the same as yesterday so I didn't bother with another photo of marked out brickwork :p

I've used a bigger hole this time round

And the entire thing so far...

After Tomcannon's suggestion of a "barricade" over the second hole I've ended up here

May tweak this slightly, not sure yet

If it's not clear in the pictures that's a charging werewolf on the left :p

Will be making a balcony of sorts for the right side next, possibly as a high level hide.

Hopefully get to work on that this weekend : victory:

It's looking brill fatty, keep up the good work : victory:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Evening update

Working on the balcony frame this evenin (still not quite finished)

Not quite sure it's even a balcony but meh :p

Started out cuttin the side/top/bottom panels to size

Mark and cutting out "entrance" to the top platform

The general idea

Marking out the side patterns (with about 3 or 4 diff ideas made it rather confusing)

Final side shapes & top/bottom

All put together (cocktail sticks are just for holding in place while it glues)

And where it'll be in the Viv

That's just the frame for now, will be changing the top/bottom edges a bit to make it look a little less square and I'm thinking of building up the top platform a bit for some cover.

Hopefully get that done tomorrow and then I can move onto grouting :p

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.