Reptile Forums banner

First time Kepper

Tags
tag
914 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Mrs Mental 
#1 ·
hi im 13 and am thinking about gettin a tortoise ive read up about how to care for them and have the basics on them but am stuck on their encloser i would keep them indoors , i have seen '' tortiose tables '' but dont know what their about , i know they live for ages and grow up to 12'' . the tortoise table is big but it looks like a tortoise could escape ( they probably cant but their im a stupid :censor: ) how big would this tortoise table need to be + could you give me some tortoise table info.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi ya and welcome to the forum :2thumb:

Do you know what species (type) of tortoise you would like?

Most species are best suited to living in an open topped tortoise table but not all of them, some are best suited to living in a vivaruim (tank)

A tortoise table is basically 4 deep sides and a bottom, normally made of wood. There is no top on it so that airflow and circulation is good.

Also would you like a species that hibernates or one that doesn't?

Tortoises live for over a hundred years

At the top of this page there is a sticky called 'Housing' have a look through there and you can see lots of different tables that people have built - this will give you lots of ideas on how to decorate them etc., As long as the sides are nice and deep (about 12-18" deep) the tables are totally safe.

All the species are different sizes when fully grown, from about 8-10" right up to 3 feet.

Do you have an outdoor space at all? The majority of species do benefit greatily from being outside and you really do need to have an outdoor space that you can use to make a safe enclosure/penn for the tortoise.

Hope some of that helps hunny : victory:

#5 ·
A greek spur thigh do you mean? Are you buying it from a breeder or from a pet shop or a private sale? You need to check the exact species so we can help you with the right information, sometimes there are differences in size/diet/husbandry etc.,

#8 ·

sorry to be a pain but when they get to like 8-12'' do you have to keep them outside

#10 ·
sorry to be a pain but when they get to like 8-12'' do you have to keep them outside

Whatever age and size it is it will benefit from being outside in the natural UV and the fresh air and having more space. For an adult of 12" in size you would need a pretty large table, say 6ft x 4ft or so - in my opinion it would be cruel to keep it inside 24/7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.