Reptile Forums banner

First-Time Leopard Gecko owner questions

891 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  BeaValadas 
#1 ·
I've recently just aquired a 2 month old leopard gecko, which is also my very first pet reptile, therefore I have quite a few questions about their behaviours when they are this young and I'm really unsure if everything is okay with him.

Firstly, I'd like to know if it is normal for a recently aquired leopard gecko to not eat once he's moved in his new tank? I've aquired him yesterday, so he's been around for about 24 hours and he hasn't eaten yet (and I haven't seen him drinking water or getting calcium either, although I'm not sure if he's done so during the night).

Secondly, the leopard gecko doesn't move or explore much even though he is only 2 months old.

I've also noticed he likes to stay outside of his shelters in the middle of the temperature gradient, next to the glass. This is a bit unsusual to me as I've read that once they move to a new environment they like to be sheltered and not visible...

These are just a few of the things I've been unsure of since I've gotten him. I'd really appreciate if anyone could give me their tips and help me understand what is normal and what isn't.

See less See more
#3 ·
The leopard gecko is currently in a medium sized aquarium I'm re-using until I get an adequate vivarium, so yes, completely glass.

He's got 3 shelters, a warm one, a cooler one and a humid hide. I've upt kitchen paper on the bottom and he's got a bowl with water, a bowl with food and a small bottle cap with calcium in it.

I'm also using a heat mat that covers about half of the enclosure and I'm providing him with mealworms and crickets (which he hasn't even tried).

I'm really just mostly worried about him not eating... I also am not sure if I should handle it or not...

#5 ·
The temperature is a stable 30ºC (86ºF) and I'm reading these with a thermometer that isn't digital (Although I know digital ones would have been a better choice).

The heat mat (which is under the tank) is set to around 36ºC (96ºF) and although the heat mat isn't directly in contact with the bottom of the aquarium, the inside of it feels just a little bit warm to the touch which I'm assuming what you're aiming for.

Also, when should you start handeling your leopard gecko? Keeping in mind he's just arrived and that he's still quite young (2 months).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.