Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. We're looking to buy our first snake to keep as a family pet. We have 2 young boys who are very excited.

Really just looking for recommendations and people's thoughts as we are new to the reptile world

Thanx

:)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
You've accidentially put your thread in the wrong sub-section (Snake Pictures) so it will probably be moved.
Most snake-species can work well for first time owners who are willing to put the effort in to researching the animals needs before getting the animal. That being said, when small children are going to be close with the animal, I'd go for one of the more "kid-friendly" types of snakes (something docile, that's not too sensitive to stress and doesn't get too big).
A lot of coloubrids fits the bill of being docile, consistently good feeders, good size and they come in so many beautiful colours and are often reasonably active so you get to see them move around doing their thing. Corn snakes are the classical, popular choice in coloubrids, because they are so easy to care for and come in so many amazing colours and patterns.
The downside is that when they are small, they are pretty squirmy and fast little buggars. Many people don't like that and it makes them a little harder for kids to handle I'd imagine. So I'd probably get an adult or semi-adult. Then you can also get a well started animal, that has been consistently feeding well for a good while and is used to being handled and not too easily stressed (the young ones instinctively know that they are fragile and a nice snack to a lot of animals in the wild, so they are a bit more skittish and hide more).
Another snake that's commonly reccomended to new keepers is royal pythons. They are more heavy-bodied, yet still not getting very big. They do tend to go off food for longer periods here and there, which is usually not a problem, but I know from experience that it can be very nerve-wrecking when you are a new owner, with no experience in getting fussy feeders to eat, and you have a snake that hasn't eaten for months! That being said, it is not something that you can't handle with the a forum like this to ask questions and maybe with some assistance of someone local with good experience in dealing with problem-feeders. They have lovely little personalities! They do spend most of their time just lying curled up in their hides, but the ones I've had have generally gone climbing around the vivarium in the evening once the sun's been set for a while.
The hatchlings aren't squirmy, fast little things, but I'd still start out with a well-started animal so it's been feeding for a while.
There are lots more options out there though, these are just the popular choices.
Good luck with it. Expect to become addicted to this hobby! : victory:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the reply. I hadn't realised I'd posted on the wrong place so I've repested in the correct place :-/ I love royals but the fussy feeding would worry me sick with it bring my first time. I am being drawn to milk snakes they're the most beautiful things I've ever seen

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've never had any milk snakes, so can't really give advice on those. But they're supposed to be excellent beginner-snakes.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Thanx for the reply. I hadn't realised I'd posted on the wrong place so I've repested in the correct place :-/ I love royals but the fussy feeding would worry me sick with it bring my first time. I am being drawn to milk snakes they're the most beautiful things I've ever seen
You should definitely get a milksnake! My first ever snake when I was around 8ish was a sinaloan milk! I loved her so much, she was beautiful and very docile.admittedly she was quite fast at first but soon got used to handling. They are so easy to care for too! Just as easy as corns, I have no idea why they are hardly kept nowadays.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts