Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. After a little help, I'm after buying my 2 years old daughter a tortoise for her 3rd birthday. She has been around tortoises before and loves them to bits so know she will like it but just after a little help and advice please on type to buy, extras needed e.g lamps and how much to expect they cost.......

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
there's not really a first tort but the more common ones such as Hermans ,Ibera and Horsfields are easy to find from a good breeder, the first two require an Article 10 certificate and to be microchipped when they reach a certain size. However all torts don't like to be handled, can carry Salmonella and can nip small fingers between their legs and body and don't bounce if dropped, then theres very hot bulbs that will burn, because of these its best not to let a young child handle them or their housing,bowls etc unsupervised as its important that they wash their hands after. There's also the fact that any animal needs an adult prepared to clean out/care for it as a child isn't capable of doing so without help, there are no holiday homes for torts so breaks are difficult, you also have to have the room the tort is housed in heated all winter if you aren't going to hibernate. You'll also need a safe outdoor run and house for summer, if after thinking about all that and you still think one would suit your family then do as much research into housing and care as possible .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thanks for your information. Have got room indoors for housing and also got a back garden where can have freedom in the warmer sunny days. How often do they require to be cleaned out? Can you advise me anywhere to read more about the housing and care of the tortoise online?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Yeah thanks for your information. Have got room indoors for housing and also got a back garden where can have freedom in the warmer sunny days. How often do they require to be cleaned out? Can you advise me anywhere to read more about the housing and care of the tortoise online?
This is how I keep mine and is what I give as a print out to people who buy my babies www.tortsmad.com
A lot depends on if you are looking for a hatchling or older tortoise. Older ones don't live indoors unless you have a very large area for them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thanks sue. When you say old what age do you mean by that? Does your print out have information/advice on lamp tempuratre and feeding?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Okay thanks sue. When you say old what age do you mean by that? Does your print out have information/advice on lamp tempuratre and feeding?
It's all there on the website ;) There is a section especially for hatchling care, which are obviously tiny. Adult ones are harder to come by, but sometimes come up for rehoming. I have a hermanni 10 year old male for rehoming at the moment from the Midlands, but obviously he would need more room than a baby, including outdoor accommodation for summer and hibernation quarters for winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have recently visited my local reptile shop and was given what was told is a good price for a tortoise and the rest but I have my doubts. Should I go with the shop or shall I seek a local breeder??

·
Super Moderator
16,968 Posts
Personally I would say a local breeder. You can of course make your own table, which will be considerably cheaper. Lights etc can all be bought online.

I would continue researching for now, and wait until late Spring, when the weather is warmer and the tortoise will be able to go outdoors certainly during the day into a safe enclosure.

·
Super Moderator
16,968 Posts
I try to help, as do others, so it is just my own opinion regarding waiting.

We have found our tortoises gave/give us for more worries than the other animals and birds we keep. I just think with the colder weather approaching it is so much easier when they can go outside in some sunshine and graze away on fresh weeds and flowers, than stay sitting indoors under heat lamps eating Florette salad as weeds are scarce. Plus of course, species depending, there is the hibernation issue - hence another reason for perhaps waiting.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I have recently visited my local reptile shop and was given what was told is a good price for a tortoise and the rest but I have my doubts. Should I go with the shop or shall I seek a local breeder??
Shops always sound convincing, it's what they are trained to do ;) it depends on if you want to bring ethics into it too, rather than just price. Personally I have not seen a pet shop sell them less than breeders, plus they won't deliver or offer back up if things go wrong, or show you info re the parents, plus most will be offering horsfields now as they don't need paper work, meaning they could have come from anywhere and likely without telling customers they are a burrowing species etc you will be able to find a breeder close enough to you if you ask on the forums. I have a list her Tortsmad UK ~ Tortoise Captive Breeders list

1 - 11 of 11 Posts