Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and the reptile world! I'm getting a tortoise and was wondering if you could help me with a couple of beginners advice.I've been reading up on the internet but thought I'd ask the experts :) I'm building my own vivarium aswell, what would be a suitable material and what would I need to include?

Also, if anyone out there happen to be selling tortoises at the moment or know somebody who is, please feel free to contact!
I can guarantee a very long term and loving home :)

Kat

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
Sorry but vivs are not good for most speices of tortoise commonly kept. They dont have enough air circulation, and not a lot of variation in temps.
They need a 32c under the lamp and 25c ish the other end.
If your thinking stars/redfoots then a viv will be fine. But meds and horsfields dont do well in vivs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry but vivs are not good for most speices of tortoise commonly kept. They dont have enough air circulation, and not a lot of variation in temps.
They need a 32c under the lamp and 25c ish the other end.
If your thinking stars/redfoots then a viv will be fine. But meds and horsfields dont do well in vivs.

Sorry, I got a bit confused there. Was thinking about basically building a square wooden box. Nothing fancier than that.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Hi it's quite easy to build a tortoise table,best wood to use i find personaly is ply wood,I seal all the edges and varnish the wood and leave it for a week before using it.Make a decent sized one so he/she will have plenty of space.4 foot by 2 foot is a good size (assuming you are getting a youngster).Good luck and happy building.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hi I am the most impracticle person in the world, so when it comes to making tortoise tables I cheat and buy the biggest bookcase I can find, normally from Argos, then you just take out the shelves and lay it on it's back!:whistling2:

Mind you I am sure if you are practicle you make something for less money!

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
A rectangled box is fine, most vivs are glass based, and not good for tortoises.
You will need either a UV/heat lamp or a UV tube and spotlight for heating.
A thick piece of slate for feeding from, and keeping down their beaks.
Substrate.
A shallow dish for water to drink or bathe in.
Calcium carbonate (limestone flour)
Some sort of house.
These are the basics you cant do with out. Anything else is your choice to use:0)

Sorry, I got a bit confused there. Was thinking about basically building a square wooden box. Nothing fancier than that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts