Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing so many outstanding vivs on here, I have decided to expand my Reptile Collection. I only actually own one Bearded Dragon at the monet, had him for 4 years, now he's 20inches i think he is in need of a bigger viv, he's in a 4ft at the moment.
After Various Designs i thought to myself, why not make the whole wall for Reptiles? One big viv stack with different Reptiles in.
So that's exactly what i am going to do... :2thumb:

Here was my initial Design (On Paper)

After I drew it up..

Planning on having My beardie at the top in a 5.6ft cage (the measurements are wrong in the design)
Then 2 Cages for a Rankins and When i breed My beardie. (For babies)
Then A Chameleon Cage, and next to it, a Crested Gecko Cage.
And last but not least, storage underneath.

Originally I was going to get it made by viv builders, but after being told 450 quid for a qoute, I decided to do it with my dad..forobvious reasons . :whistling2:

So, a few trips down to my local Wood shop (Not BNQ, There wood is almost always bowed and not as good quality, and more expensive) We got ourselves some wood for the frame, a good solid frame that will act as a solid foundation to maintain the viv structure.

Then cut them down to size...

All while this guy had no interest whatsoever :lol2:

Many cups of tea later we had come up with the shape of the frame.

All was going to plan, then it had to go and rain!! :cussing:
Luckily though, no wood got sodden, and didn't have to go buy more wood.

This was my room before.

As you can see just a plain white unit and my 4ft cage sat ontop (It had been moved downstairs in this picture)

After a lot of halving joints and tonnes of PVA And screws, the back part of the frame was coming into shape.

Now to start fixing it to the wall... :Na_Na_Na_Na:

Thats all we have done in two days, we will be decking it out with Tongue & Groove Cladding, and buying glass etc.

Will keep you updated on this thread from start to finish if anyone's interested :D
:lol2:

Excuse Camera Quality by the way, was taken on my rubbish Blackberry :whistling2:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have not updated you in a few days, bin busy on the stack :2thumb:

Anyway heres my happy boy

and heres the pics from progress from the last couple of days..

Coming along quite nicely.

Will be some sort of Fake rock in all the vivs, not sure to make it out of the canned foam or out of Poly? any decent tuts or anything on fake rock would be appreiated. :2thumb:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you persuade your parents to let you do that?
Lol!
I proved to them I can look after an animal right for the past 4years, and its partly a birthday/chjristmas present as my bday is tomorrow, my dad doesn't mind doing it as he likes his DIY. So I'm very lucky really :2thumb:

·
Registered
442 Posts
i would have said 450 ain't a bad price, how much did it cost you to build?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This looks like a good'un.... Keeping an eye out on this bad boy!
Cheers mate!:Na_Na_Na_Na:

Looking good mate, oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Thanks Mate :no1:

i would have said 450 ain't a bad price, how much did it cost you to build?
450 isn't so bad a price, but building it is a lot more rewarding, and it would have taken ages to explain all the exact measurements to fit the alcove/skirting board/coving etc.

So far around 130. Probably gunna be around 200 - 250 once the glass is in and for the last bits of wood and fake rock. Thats just an estimate though, i'll work out the rough costings on everything at the end mate :2thumb:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
right its all going well, but no point in uploading pictures at the moment because its just filling, sanding, and putting vents in and ordering glass at the mo. will upload some when vents are in, and light fittings go in etc: victory:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Top quality looks good mate, be getting you to make some at mine ;)

Reactions: ReptileRyan
1 - 20 of 92 Posts