Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following posts will contain graphic images of dead rodents and later on reptiles in various states of decay.

If you do not wish to see these images PLEASE do not continue to read the post.

You have been warned, i would hope that you do not hold either myself or the forum responsible should you choose to continue and be disturbed by the images.

DISCLAIMER:
The following images are of previously euthanised rodents or of animals that have died through natural causes. NO animals have been harmed in the process.

Now that's done i'll upload the first images.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For the first test i decided to go AGAINST current advice and try a freshly defrosted multi-mammate.
The subject has been partially skinned. I have left the paws, ears, tail and a small section of fur on the nose - this is to see what effect the mealworms has on these areas and because it was quick and easy.

The multi-mammate:

I decided that for ease of removal later on i would put the subject into a small plastic tray within the main tub:

For this test i have chosen mealworms. The main reason for this choice is that they are easy to source. I have also been informed that dermestids do not remove the flesh from python skeletons at a rate anywhere near they would any other prey item (the reason for this is undetermined). For those reasons i would like to avoid sourcing the dermestids unless neccesary.

For this test i have added 0.5 killograms of mealworms to the tub, directly over the subject carcass:

As i mentioned at the beginning of this post i was advised to let the carcass dry out and remove as much flesh as possible myself before adding the beetles. I will try that in the next test, should this one fail.

I will update over the course of the next few days.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
awesome, i'l follow the updates. yes, its gross, but very interesting. i like how you can see all the internal organs, its really amazing.

worthwhile everyone having a look, learn something :)

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
Very interested as to what happens, and the skinned rodent looks very interesting, having never seen a skined one before.

Jay

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I wanted to leave it a few hours before replying just in case anyone got upset.

It is one of those subjects that seems to be gross enough to draw most (not everyone) peoples attention.

Dan, thanks for the compliment on the skinning. It wasn't a great job though, just a quick effort. Normally i would take off the full nose and cut the paws off with the skin and i'd run the blade down the length of the tail from the sexual organs. I'll do that on the next test so you can see what i mean.

Intravenous, i suspect the later pics of the mice wont be so easy for some people to look at!!

Jay, you're right the way animals (inc us) have all our organs packe in is fascinating. Allways amazes me that if you pop the internal layer when skinning you can never get all the bits that fall out back in!!!!

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
it'll be an interesting experiment, i tried something similar with a dead pike id found(pike not pikey :wink: ), i ended up burying it and digging it up as a kid, didn't go well

It'll also be interesting to see what damage the meal worms actually do after all the horror stories on peoples reps

·
Registered
641 Posts
Dan, are you intending on doing anything with the skins of the snakes you're going to work on? Or are you mainly interested in working with just the skeleton..?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The plan is to mount the skeleton with the skin in front of it. There will then be a small engraved plaque with the common name and scientific name in front of those.
It will all be mounted on a piece of stained pine.

Not that i've thought about it much though, lol

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
i saw the start of that post but never got round to answering..personally think it's a bit odd and doing that to animals takes a special person. however it can be fascinating, just wouldn't want to do it...

are you going to degrease the bones? or leave the oils? some think it helps to keep the bone from cracking but i wouldn't like the idea of a slimey skeleton..

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i saw the start of that post but never got round to answering..personally think it's a bit odd and doing that to animals takes a special person. however it can be fascinating, just wouldn't want to do it...

are you going to degrease the bones? or leave the oils? some think it helps to keep the bone from cracking but i wouldn't like the idea of a slimey skeleton..
Thats fine, it's all about personal opinions again and i wouldnt try to take yours away from you. :)

The bones will be cleaned and then sprayed with a thin coat of varnish. I have been told that this helps keep the bones from drying out further after i have cleaned them.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
certainly be interesting to see:

What produces the best results,
How the finished product looks,
and how much it costs, these "little projects" are buggers for dragging opn and then, come the end, yuou realise youve spent a fair bit of cash :lol:

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 116 Posts