Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've sorted out all I need to know about ceramics for heating, now I need to know about lighting.

So do I use a low wattage incandescent/filament (probably hotter to the touch and less efficient) or do I use fluorescent (apparently damaging to reptiles eyes)?

And do I need a guard for either, and if so what type?

Note: I know a lot of people say not to bother with any lights but my vivarium is in a really low light area so I can't see in properly.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
If you want lights thats cool but I really would go with a filament light...

As I said UV can damage eyes (i'll try find a link) aand fillament can help with heating (unless its very small). They would both need to be gaurded. A Boa is very string and would easilty smash both!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
ok I can't find the damn link.... It was on the livefoods forum, I think Nerys posted it up who visits here so hopfully she can find it

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
leds shoud work quite well for vivs actually, good idea ceiron! A friend of mine uses led rope lights to light the back of his racks and they look cracking, arent as bright as tube lights and dont get hot.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
LEDs are a great suggestion actually, never thought of those. You coul mount them straight into the top of the viv

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Ceiron said:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47376&&source=14&doy=28m12

maplin do a nice strip too, jsut needs a 12v power supply
Looking at those I might get some for my stack when I build it!!! Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts