1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys
is anybody good with flies/waps etc ?
if you are, what's this ?
i found it about 5 minutes ago and it's too wasp looking for my liking (stupid fear lol)

it's about 2cm long

thanks

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a Digger wasp to me:gasp:
you say that.
i found one almost the same, but metallic blue a couple of days ago.
similar to mud wasps/digger wasps

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Awesome I love Wasps they are pretty things, we had a queen buzzing around the house obviously checking out for possible nest sites I just let them be don't know if she is still about have not seen her today.

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome I love Wasps they are pretty things, we had a queen buzzing around the house obviously checking out for possible nest sites I just let them be don't know if she is still about have not seen her today.
lucky you
the fear is sort or rational though. i was fine, but i got stung in the mouth by a bee, so i'm scared of bees and wasps now :(

gonna try and overcome it though. seeing if there's any local beekeeping clubs :whip:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
lucky you
the fear is sort or rational though. i was fine, but i got stung in the mouth by a bee, so i'm scared of bees and wasps now :(

gonna try and overcome it though. seeing if there's any local beekeeping clubs :whip:

Pitty you have a fear they really are not bad at all if you are gentle with Wasps you can have them walk on your hand I have done this many a time most the time they sit there and clean themselves, I find them fascinating especially the paper wasps there tubular nests are most awesome.

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
lucky you

I don't mind bees but just can't stand wasps, my parents seem to see loads of queen bees where they live and they're massive!

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pitty you have a fear they really are not bad at all if you are gentle with Wasps you can have them walk on your hand I have done this many a time most the time they sit there and clean themselves, I find them fascinating especially the paper wasps there tubular nests are most awesome.
i'm getting way better though
like i can take photos of bees from pretty close.

but if anything buzzes past me or if i see a bee flying , my arms sort of flap and hit people within arms reach of me.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Wasps are amazing little creatures. We had a nest in our loft one year. Got to see the nest too, amazing!
Yeah we have lots of nests round here in the summer months, I cut a old disused one down last year, I got a hacksaw blade and gently cut the nest in half the detail and work that goes into these nests is simply amazing, there was a few old dead's in there as well they were the German wasps.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
i'm getting way better though
like i can take photos of bees from pretty close.

but if anything buzzes past me or if i see a bee flying , my arms sort of flap and hit people within arms reach of me.
Yeah if you can get out of that habit I know its human instinct to automatically do that but the Wasp gets very annoyed at that.

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah we have lots of nests round here in the summer months, I cut a old disused one down last year, I got a hacksaw blade and gently cut the nest in half the detail and work that goes into these nests is simply amazing, there was a few old dead's in there as well they were the German wasps.
i love the nests.
they're so brilliantly fragile, yet they're so resilient to everything

Yeah if you can get out of that habit I know its human instinct to automatically do that but the Wasp gets very annoyed at that.
i think i just need to be stung again, to realise that it's not that bad :lol2:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
i love the nests.
they're so brilliantly fragile, yet they're so resilient to everything

i think i just need to be stung again, to realise that it's not that bad :lol2:
Was out in Corfu last June and the wasps over there are cool, the Hornets are massive so big you could whack a saddle on them and ride them, they used to come down to the pool for a drink of water stunning things.

·
Registered
22,115 Posts
Was out in Corfu last June and the wasps over there are cool, the Hornets are massive so big you could whack a saddle on them and ride them, they used to come down to the pool for a drink of water stunning things.
I saw some in the canary islands, not sure what they were but they were jet black all over and did the same, came down to the pool to drink. Must admit I was a bit nervous of those ones though and admired them from a distance :blush:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I saw some in the canary islands, not sure what they were but they were jet black all over and did the same, came down to the pool to drink. Must admit I was a bit nervous of those ones though and admired them from a distance :blush:
Yes I would imagine they would pack a nice punch. Like you say one to keep your distance from but its worse when the things dive bomb you when you are taking a dip in the pool.

·
Registered
33,051 Posts
Wasps are amazing little creatures. We had a nest in our loft one year. Got to see the nest too, amazing!
they give me the heebeegeebees!:gasp:

the only wasp ever to land on my hand, when i was 7 years old, promptly stung my finger with no provocation from me whatsoever. i stayed still, wasn't even scared of it- until it stung me! i've avoided them ever since.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts