Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it ok for geckos to eat sand i meen -playsand i think this is rong but wats ur advise
dan
ty

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
eating any substrate at all isnt good, but a little they can handle and will often pass straight through them in a sandy poo, then again this depends on the type of substraite and the sixe of it.

Jay

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Personally I really don't like sand for geckos... They are too small and for leos sand is not a natural substrate. They live amongst rocks and compact dirt. Yes there are particles which they might ingest but its my own personally opinion not to use sand for them.

I'd go with slate, kitchen lino, reptile carpet - something like that! Other people have used sand for years mind and not had any problems.....

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I would have to agree with gaz, slate is the best thing for leos to be on, you can get the large ish tiles from most builders merchants, and use either calci sand or tortoise life to fill the gaps.:)

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I would have to agree with gaz, slate is the best thing for leos to be on, you can get the large ish tiles from most builders merchants, and use either calci sand or tortoise life to fill the gaps.:)
calci sand???thats the very worst of sand you can give a leo.best not to give it sand at all but never calci sand.thats like saying give it slate but it has calci sand for when it feels like looking for some to eat.Play sand is bad to about the same as calci sand.if your insiting that you do want sand then just plain old reptile sand that isnt calcium based is the only sand you can pretty much keep them on and even with that there is the impactation risk still.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yeh, why fill the gaps? SO IF A CRICK GETS THERE they can also cover themselves in the sand aswell as hide between the slate?

the only reservation id have about using all slate chippins..which i do us e but only in part of my vivs is that they conduct the heat and get warm directly on the mat.. ok for areas but for a terestorial lizard the entire floor being too warm could be a bugger

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
i used to use slate chips, but one cut the belly of my leo, so wont use that again!!! and as for the calci sand, its only about 5mm in the gaps, A, to stop the tiles from shifting, and B to help fill a bit of a gap.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
i guess thast true, for the stoppin it shifting, dont wana get a ickle foot stuck in between the chips.

I honestly think one of the best substrates about right now is tha brick form cocnut husk stuff, im using it almost entirely now, they hold the chippins well too.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
what, the eco earth stuff?? i could not dry it out enough to stop my viv getting to humid! great for my poisen darts though!

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
ah, i managed to dry it out ok.. just have to lay it flat ona heat mat..true though took some time.. was a bit damp when i put it in with the bosc as i had it in a plastic bin and pbviously half way down was still dammp...dried out now..after about a week..which was not ideal..but the amount i put in the leo's viv dried in an hour..

im quite certain it dries as quick as sand does if u wet that..infact prolly quicker.

Its good stuff honest

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
may give it another go in the summer months, when it will dry out abit quicker.:razz:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
lol yeh..summer makes it easier indeed.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I honestly think one of the best substrates about right now is tha brick form cocnut husk stuff, im using it almost entirely now, they hold the chippins well too.
i use it for my horned frog, he loves burrowing in it, but it went mouldy in my angle-head's tank :? Took it all out yesterday.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yeh.....its suposed to be for desert or tropical..and some brands actually more say its for tropical... BUT I DONT LIKE IT WET lol.. it cakes together like a git... i think its pretty bad like that...apparently its naturual thus digestable but its a bit scary to think about any rep eating it still... the good thing is..when dry.. it really is nice looking, smells nice [for a few days] and er..well i guess thats it lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts