Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i need some urgent help please!

My girlfriend and I were out walking the dog yesterday in the country and we walked up an old sand quarry road when we stumbled upon a small lizard on the road (which is covered with ice). We were shocked as never seen a lizard in Scotland before and didn't expect to see one while it was 1 degree outside. We looked at it and i started touching it softly, not expecting a response, and sure enough we didn't get one. I turned it over onto its back and my Gf said she saw the tail move. We watched some more and saw the tail move again. I picked it up in my hands and cupped them together and started slowly blowing in warm air. To our shock it started wriggling. We got it home and put it in a tub in a warm room them eventually to my Gf's old fish tank with UV light up above, some stones out the garden and big bits of bark.

I took it back to my house (as the Gf's mother was freaking out) and put a bowl of water in the tank and put the UV light on...then went back to check and it was actually half submerged in the water.

I did more research and saw these things hibernate in the cold weather so i turned the light off as thought it may be getting to warm, not what it is used to this time of year.

I know its wild and not used to being kept in a tank so I want to do whats best for this animal. If i put it back near to where i found it would it survive?

Any advice would be great, apologies for the long post.

Many thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
if it properly hibernates not brumates it should be fine.did you put it in a bush,some grass etc. where it was hidden because otherwise it might get eaten by a predator. next time you see one on a path just put it somewhere like in a bush where it cant be seen to be eaten

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Chances are that if you return it to the wild at this time of year that it will die. My advice would be to see if you can get it to feed and release it in the same place that you found it early summer when there is lots of food around. DONT HANDLE IT or it will not return to the wild successfully

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nuts...dont know what to do! Try and find good place to return it to for hibernation or try and help it out a bit?!

Its only about 6cm long so thinking its a young one seeing as i read they grow to about 14cm. Dark on back and pale on belly.

I have handled it, i had to otherwise it would have died. It certainly wasn't hibernating, some have suggested it may have been disturbed. In any case it was a gonner, we were lucky that our dog didn't get it, its a popular place for dogs, foxes etc etc.

Muddled

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
Bring it in warm it up gradually and then try to get it feeding.Release it in the spring as others have said.If you put it back in the wild it will die.
However, the chances are it will die anyway.Of the lizards that I have hibernated outdoors the ones that wake up in midwinter are usualyy either ill or their body clock is out of kilter and unfortunately they usually die anyway.
Goodluck.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
OK If you put it back now it will DIE as there will be no food for it and it will starve if it doesnt freeze first, if you keep it then it has a fighting chance but not much!
All these that say put it back are condemming it. It shouldnt be awake at this time of year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rmy, i tend to agree but if it is suposed to be hibernating should i try and make it conditions right so it hibernates, ie put it in the garage? at least then it will be cold but not as harsh as being outside? As i read they warm up during milder weather in the winter then go back to sleep when it turns colder again.

Thanks for your advice. And Wowser, once seeing it move I couldn't just let it die on the road.

So next question, what should i feed it if not try to get it to hibernate?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think you did what you thought was right, chances are it was hibernated and may have been stumbled upon by a predator, hence it being in the middle of the road in a weakened state. I would have done the same and helped by bringing it home.
In my opinion if it were me, I'd look after it until spring/summer,warm it up gradually, feed it, look it up and see what it is online/library maybe and see what it needs. Maybe a wild life sanctuary somewhere near you may offer advice or a place for it if you aren't able to help it out.

You did the Humane thing, good on ya

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a pic: not the best but hopefully you can recognise the little fella....that was when the uv light was on....think i might put him in the garage or shed so he/she hibernates...but put some insects in there too

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I would keep it till it has warmed up a bit as it wont go back into hibernation once it has been woken up. Best thing is to let it go when it might have a fighting chance but try make sure that it dosent get too use to being around humans otherwise it wont survive in the wild

·
Registered
180 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts