Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this moring i found a large-ish beetle so being me i caught it in a bug viewer ... then thats when i noticed the jaws theyre like fishing hooks so i decided to find what it was seeing as ive never ever seen anything so mean lokking but also pretty so ive looked at a few wikipedia thingys and found out what i think it is:
Staphylinus caesareus

·
Registered
33,448 Posts
this moring i found a large-ish beetle so being me i caught it in a bug viewer ... then thats when i noticed the jaws theyre like fishing hooks so i decided to find what it was seeing as ive never ever seen anything so mean lokking but also pretty so ive looked at a few wikipedia thingys and found out what i think it is:
Staphylinus caesareus
that's a devil's coach horse beetle, the biggest UK rove beetle.lucky you didn't try to pick it up!:gasp: they bite real nasty, hang on, & draw blood. they also squirt a smelly fluid. if it was matt black, & over 1 1/2'', that's defo it!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not its a imperial rove beetle thas its latin name and iits vicsious .....

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Rove beetles are one of the most difficult of Coleoptera groups to ID...

My guess, and I stress guess here, is that it was the fairly common Devil's Coach Horse, Ocypus olens.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anless devils coachmans have become morphs i dont think so ....... its got a red wing case and white spots

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
anless devils coachmans have become morphs i dont think so ....... its got a red wing case and white spots
Haha, that's what I get for not reading it properly the first time round. Good find.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx kept him for two day then relesed him .......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts