Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I don't venture out of the snake section much (maybe I should get out more) but I thought this was the correct section to post this.

I just saw Fluffy the local cat playing with something in my garden. I ran out to find this little guy. Couldn't see any marks or injuries on him, other than a cobweb that he went through head first, so looks like I saved him just in time :) As a thank you he posed for some photos.

Am I right in thinking this is a Slow Worm (Anguis fragilis)?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Looks very much like one to me. If you can, try get hold of it and ring a conservation center or something. I believe they're really low on numbers in the uk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks very much like one to me. If you can, try get hold of it and ring a conservation center or something. I believe they're really low on numbers in the uk
Oh I placed him back on the compost heap, he's probably long gone. Wish I'd known that, will bear in mind if I see any again.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Ive got loads in my garden, especially round my compost bin, rescued one from one of my cats the other day, put ut safely back in my compost bin.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive got loads in my garden, especially round my compost bin, rescued one from one of my cats the other day, put ut safely back in my compost bin.
I've never seen one before. I did move further out in to the countryside last year though so I'm seeing a lot more in terms of wildlife these days.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Congrats for saving him, awesome find!! :no1: :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
He had a lucky escape.:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Oh I placed him back on the compost heap, he's probably long gone. Wish I'd known that, will bear in mind if I see any again.
By all means rescue them from cats, but please just release them back where you found them. They are not that uncommon especially in the south east of England. They are colonial animals and so where there is one, there is a colony.

Mark.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By all means rescue them from cats, but please just release them back where you found them. They are not that uncommon especially in the south east of England. They are colonial animals and so where there is one, there is a colony.

Mark.
Yeah I did some research after I found him and couldn't find anything that suggested they were low in numbers anywhere in the UK. If any resurface in the garden again I'll be leaving them be!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts