Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Yesterday I heard some knocking on by backyard wooden fence. When I looked over I noticed this guy. I am not familiar with pets (other than dogs/cats) and with recent really hot days I am worries for this little fella.
Today he has been knocking again, I cut him small apple and sprayed him with cold water (I don't know if I did the right thing but it felt right at the time).
My main thing is what kind of turtle/tortoise it is and who should I inform to find his/her owner.
I approached him/her calmly not to stress it and tried measuring for additional info.
He/she is roughly 30cm long, 15/20cm wide and 15cm tall.
My postcode is SE12 if anyone know anyone or would suggest what to do.

·
Super Moderator
16,763 Posts
That is a Leopard tortoise and most likely somebody's pet.

Contact local vets, the police and even as many local community sites that you can. Do not disclose the species or indeed a photograph of it - merely call it a tortoise and ask any responders to describe the 'it' to you as you are likely to get bogus owners claiming it is theirs.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Agree, contact vets, police etc and don’t show pics. Many vets even wouldn’t have a clue of care or species but may well have had enquiries from the owner. Someone will be missing it and it needs much more careful care than a Mediterranean species. If the weather is good there it will be fine if confined in a sunny place........otherwise needs lamps and uvb under a sheltered enclosed space such as shed or greenhouse until owner is found. Good luck :)

·
Registered
33,251 Posts
First of all, pick the tortoise up & take him into your garden so you can keep an eye on him- otherwise he might walk away & get lost before anyone can claim him. Then do as others have suggested.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jesus! Leopard Tortoise! I have a baby one myself. As mentioned by Wilkins77, take it into your garden, the current temps are ok but it’s dangerous for leopard tortoises to go under 22c, so if no one has claimed it by tonight try and bring it indoors to your warmest room/area as it will probably suffer if the outdoors temperature dips below this during the night! But, during the day, it should be ok to walk about in your garden providing the temps stay up as they are! The recent weather has made the time of this escape quite good to be honest!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Btw, don’t be worried about the hot days… these tortoises originate from Africa, do not hibernate and need warm temps all year round (minimum 22c at night, a cool area of 24c and somewhere warm to recharge and digest their food of around 37-40c - which at the moment would be naturally achieved outside) however I wouldn’t leave it outside at night if you have the option to bring inside! Let us know who you get on! If you want to feed it, grass & dandelions would be best!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Btw, don’t be worried about the hot days… these tortoises originate from Africa, do not hibernate and need warm temps all year round (minimum 22c at night, a cool area of 24c and somewhere warm to recharge and digest their food of around 37-40c - which at the moment would be naturally achieved outside) however I wouldn’t leave it outside at night if you have the option to bring inside! Let us know who you get on! If you want to feed it, grass & dandelions would be best!
80% grasses, not too many dandelions for a fast growing species like leopards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good news, owner has been found and little fella is back with him.

Took the tortoise to my garden and made a local message (our neighbour community got small chat group on) and I have posted that I "Found a turtle" (without pics or description) only when someone came with message that it may be his I asked for details and if they didn't match I said that it wasn't the one I found.

After waiting couple more days a neighbour from two roads ahead contacted me and gave perfect description and photo. Turns out his (the tortoise) name is Otis and the owner lost him over year ago (just before I moved into the house I am in). He came in and picked up the fella.

·
Registered
33,251 Posts

Took the tortoise to my garden and made a local message (our neighbour community got small chat group on) and I have posted that I "Found a turtle" (without pics or description) only when someone came with message that it may be his I asked for details and if they didn't match I said that it wasn't the one I found.

After waiting couple more days a neighbour from two roads ahead contacted me and gave perfect description and photo. Turns out his (the tortoise) name is Otis and the owner lost him over year ago (just before I moved into the house I am in). He came in and picked up the fella.
Lucky he survived the winter if he'd been lost for a year.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Mate! That’s mental! Good job though, always nice to have a happy ending! I cannot believe the tortoise survived for over a year! Maybe someone did something similar to yourself but kept it for a while then decided it was too much! After a particularly cold winter this year, I find it hard to believe it would have survived on its own! But, none the less.. good job!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts

It will have been with someone else over winter as a leopard tortoise couldn’t survive U.k winter, being a non hibernating species. Good that he’s back home now :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts