Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - new here, but been looking around and reading stickys... Tried this post in "Lizards", but noone is answering my 4 questions :sad:

I'm after a herbivorous herp, and figure that desert igs are the prettiest (that don't grow bigger than me!) - though Uromastyx are still possible (see below). I've looked on here, and asked at pet stores, but here's a few more queries:

1. Heat and UV.
I'm imagining a 4footx2x2 viv for a pair or trio. So, I need a basking lamp at one end (any recommendations?) and a UV tube across the whole length.
Will this give enough heat? If not, what are my options for heating (given that heated rocks are a no-no).
If I put the UV tube on the top of the viv (maybe top front, along its length), then not much will reach the fellas. If I put it halfway down the back, this stops the climbing wall, and means I get a streak of light across the viv.
Am I better with two smaller tubes, at each end?

2. Sand. I gather sand impaction is unlikely, if they are fed on a bowl/plate. Does their digging behaviour result in sand in the bowl, then impaction? Or can Igs pass tiny sand?
I like the red desert sand, but it's expensive! Alternatives (other than normal playsand)?

3. Food - are any fruit/veg/flowers known to be toxic? Which are favoured by desert igs? Are the shredded flower mixes for BDs okay?

4. Cruelty/handling
Desert Igs look fast - is it a bit cruel keeping them in vivs (even 6 foot vivs)? I keep lots of fish, but this feels different - educate me!
Also, how handlable are they? I held one in a store, and it calmed down reasonably fast (a shock to feel how hot its skin felt!). Would Uros be a better (if uglier) bet in terms of smaller enclosures and handling?

Wow - thanks for your patience! Keen to get the set up right - I've had a lot of success with aquaria, and learned that you're often fed nonsense in store (but if you find a good person in store - get their name and be a pest!).

X

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,626 Posts
Hi - I don't keep either species but this is a free bump and as much as I actually know about them
1. For a basking lamp then just an ordinary household spot bulb is just as good as any "reptile" ones and far cheaper. You will need a ceramic/heatproof bulb holder and cable. You will also need a dimmer thermostat. You will have to experiment with bulb size and thermostat probe positions until you get the temps right. IMO a full length UVB is best and sorry but it should be hung fairly low in the viv to be effective. A reflector would help.
2. Sand - desert sand or childrens play sand are the safest. Sand will get everywhere - water bowls, food bowls, glass runners - I hate it. I don't know if it is possible to keep either of these lizards on a non-particle substrate.
3. Not sure on this one. There is a sticky list on the newbie section for safe foods for beardies and I would imagine these would be ok. I think uros also like seeds.
4. I think you are right about the "handlability". It is my understanding that desert igs are VERY active and the bigger the viv the better. I think uros would handle better.

Hope this helps a bit until someone with more knowledge comes along.
You may get more answers in the lizard section if you ask one question at a time. If ppl think it is going to take too long to answer loads of questions then they might not bother if they haven't got much time :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jools!

I've got answers (from stores and research) to most of the queries now, so will post a Poll on my unkown one...

X

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
I would try chuckwallas as your herbivorous lizard. Cracking little characters and handleable usually if you do it slowly!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.