Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS IT REALLY FREE? WELL THIS IS SOME OF THE COST DUE TO THE PALM-OIL PLANTATION INDUSTRY. A LOT IS SHIPPED OUT FOR THE PET-TRADE SINCE IT IS A BY-PRODUCT AFTER THE LAND HAS BEEN DEFORESTED .

(MORE TO BE READ ON THE SITE - MONGABAY.COM -NOW THAT IS FREE TO SUBSCRIBE TO AND COVERS EVERYTHING FROM SNAKES TO SHRIMPS AND TECHNOLOGY IN THE MODERN WORLD ETC - THANKS).

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Something about deforestation i think
Workers are striking today, why not join in with a deforestation for the pet trade discussion. Lol

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
where are these free vivariums? :gasp: lol

wood is always a concern,but if everyone on here stopped buying them its still not going to save the rainforest

·
Registered
330 Posts
where are these free vivariums? :gasp: lol

wood is always a concern,but if everyone on here stopped buying them its still not going to save the rainforest

exactly my thoughts, they will just find some other use for the wood, why are vivariums the target on here?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I think the title was to get people in more people are gonna look with a free wood title than look where killing the world title lol not really the forum for this mate off topic is a better choice.:whistling2:

Brian

Reactions: Hutchie91

·
Registered
226 Posts
Realistically surely wardrobes and tables use more wood than vivariums which are mostly mdf or such like anyways!

·
Registered
17,669 Posts
As much as I sympathise with the wildlife, I do agree with the comments already mentioned, I suppose we could all be being biased in a sense, but it still would not prevent it happening.

It is not just trees, the entire worlds resources are being drained and nothing is being put back, I don't like it but I am certainly not going to go out of my way to try and do anything about it.

There is a simple solution and that is to just plant more trees but nooooooooo! nobody thinks about this.:whistling2:: victory:

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
i dont actually understand this post at all
Anyone who doesn't understand should go read about palm oil plantations. Basically people cut down great areas of prime rainforest and plant Palm trees which have VERY little use to wildlife, these trees are then harvested for oil. It's causing a lot of deforestation particularily in places like Borneo.

I didn't realise vivarium wood was collected from these areas though. I think what he meant btw was the decorative wood we use in vivariums rather than the wood used to make vivariums.

Good thread.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
As much as I sympathise with the wildlife, I do agree with the comments already mentioned, I suppose we could all be being biased in a sense, but it still would not prevent it happening.

It is not just trees, the entire worlds resources are being drained and nothing is being put back, I don't like it but I am certainly not going to go out of my way to try and do anything about it.

There is a simple solution and that is to just plant more trees but nooooooooo! nobody thinks about this.:whistling2:: victory:
You can stop buying products that contain palm-oil, then there is less demand so less forests need to be cut down. Where do you find this land to plant more trees?Someone has to buy the land to plant forestation. We aren't talking growing a few oak trees here we're talking ellaborate rainforest eco-systems.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Buy velvet toilet tissue.............for every tree they use they plant 3 more!

Just a random thought.................seemed fitting to this thread
The velvet toilet tissue kid is totally going to rule and save the world! He got it made!!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Dog-Man hits the nail on the head. It isn't a complex thread really. Yes the wood used as decor in vivariums etc such as JAVA bogwood or MOPANI etc is what I was high-lighting. Indeed I stated it was sold on after defortestation as a by-product but when there is a market there is also illegal logging etc.

To summarise I was having a rant about the Palm Oil industry - especially in Indonesia, Malasia, etc Also to raise awareness of MONGABAY.COM free website if you are into Nature, herps etc and also that by uniting and donating to such great programmes such as WWF, Rainforest Concern, World Land Trust etc WE can actually do something about it.
It's easy to Boycot Palm-Oil products - just don't purchase them, read the small print of ingredients - no matter if its face cream or a food substance etc. If you keep any creature you got to have some awareness of the real world. Compromise is in essence a failure and an acceptance.

By the way Some pet-trade wood decor can be harvested SUSTAINABLY - the product doesn't have to be sourced from clear fell deforestation etc.

The pet-trade isn't the real money maker for hardwood pieces. The pieces on offer are usually the unwanted 'bits' from the main body of the trunk or the twisted roots and branches which are useless for anything else or more valuable to sell as decor as oppossed to being turned into charcoal etc. Any guiter enthusiast may know of the recent Gibsons Guiter manufactuers run in with the LAW etc. Now that's selective cuts for a designer product and the the useless bits are what is bagged for the pet-trade etc.

Indeed furniture for the elite and rich including some Governments pay ridiculous sums for exclusive hardwood furnitures - for home and office etc and that's where alot of the money in such sales comes from. I wonder how much money from our taxes or from donations to political campaigns etc is spent on the such? What's wrong with IKEA furniture - or some local craftsman dealing with local timbers sourced from sustainability managed forests etc as oppossed to timber that's imported and also adding to the Carbon Footprint? By the way in most cases the native people of an area are intentionaly displaced, the land erodes the wildlife becomes locally extinct, displaced, and there is no immediate solution to go against the super-rich investors unless activists such as Green Peace or diplomatic Wildlife Agencies such as WWf negotiate. Usually such negotiations means that an area will actually be exploited but it is smaller than the original proposal or that it may be sourced from another area.

I too am a hypocrit in that I keep various critters and do have various hardwood decor in my projects. However, I do make donations to various Rainforest organisations. eg sold various species of mantis nymphs on ebay and donated via MissionFish & Paypal charity scheme over last season somewhere in the region of £200. This amounts to only FOUR ACRES of Rainforest safeguarded in one of numerous project areas around the Globe.

The garter snake which someone found in my street and I recently sold for £20 will have the money go towards the Agumbai Rainforest org which sees O.hannah as a flagship species of the region being researched and protected etc.

To summarise I'm asking more to your sense of kindness and ask for anyone else to kindly donate to a worthy cause. Make a thread and detail what you did to make a donation etc. Thanks for your attention all.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Buy velvet toilet tissue.............for every tree they use they plant 3 more!

Just a random thought.................seemed fitting to this thread

Toilet paper uses up the oxygen in the water causing what is known as B.O.D - Biological Oxygen Demand in the process of degrading. It's amazing how the sewage network operates. Anyway less oxygen in the water means depleation of bio-diversity, especially in areas where water is diverted from rivers and whole catchment areas etc.

I dont use toilet roll. I like what the French do and take a quick shower - no chemicals either or do as my Muslim friend does and take a bottle of tap water to cleanse the rear after use = clean, effective and fresh - no after smells, rashes or stains. Velvet winnets ain't no winner in my book.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts