Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi again,

I have been offered another female tortoise. :mf_dribble:
My question is can I put her in with my other young female? I have the room.

Many thanks for the info.

Jingle Bells....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
are they the same species, a simular size? you will have to have a quarentine period to make sure neither of them will pass on any illnesses most people recommend a 6month period so you'll need somewhere for both of them
hope this helps

·
Registered
724 Posts
Quarantine them, definitely. Separate enclosures and make sure that you wash your hands with something disenfectant when switching between handling.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
As long as you are able to quarantine for a minimum of 6 months - seperate tables, dishes, lights etc both inside and outside enclosures plus seperate hibernation and they are similiar size and the same species. : victory:

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
If they are the same species and you are interested make sure you know the history of the tortoise - some imported tortoises can be known to carry a virus which could lay dormant for many months - the quarentine period would be irrelevant if this was the case.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, All

Yes they are the same species and about the same size...I thought it was incorrect to mix different kinds of torts ( from all the reading I've done)... as some of them have different feeding, substrate requirements etc??? or have I picked that up wrong?

I always ask for background history on all of my pets...and take it as genuine (I question certain pet shops though) but add a pinch of salt.

I have loads of room to accommodate another tort inside and out...pretty lucky really.

Thanks for the info on quarantining them. I had not realised it was for that long. However, it does make sense, as does the washing of hands...you don't want cross contamination.....not good!

I know I have not had Bovril and Marmite for long but I can tell you that they are just great little creatures.... and they have well and truly got me hooked.

Many thanks,

Jingle Bells.....;o))

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Hi, All

Yes they are the same species and about the same size...I thought it was incorrect to mix different kinds of torts ( from all the reading I've done)... as some of them have different feeding, substrate requirements etc??? or have I picked that up wrong?

I've always been led to believe that different species should not be housed together cos of carrying etc different pathogens & germs which makes sense to me.

As for the quarantine period some quarantine for 12 mnths or just over as some dieases can take that long to show up.

Good luck with your new lady.

·
Banned
483 Posts
I've always been led to believe that different species should not be housed together cos of carrying etc different pathogens & germs which makes sense to me.

As for the quarantine period some quarantine for 12 mnths or just over as some dieases can take that long to show up.

Good luck with your new lady.
I think the TT recommend 18 months now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts