Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone keep these?
Would really like to see some pics of them and there homes if you do.
Enneacampus ansorgii is a very nice type, would be great to find someone who keeps these.
Also how hard are they to get hold of?
Thanks,

Dan : victory:

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Notoriously difficult to keep for any length of time. :(
I had a pair a few years ago. Seemed to be thriving for a few months, then both died within a few weeks of each other :(

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear that. :sad:
What type were they? and is it possible yours might have been older than they appeared?
What did you feed yours?
and by any chance have you got pictures of there Tank?
Thank very much for replying,

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have kept them, not the ansorgii though, werent too bad... but a real pain, freshwater is a misnomer as they are brackish and wont do great without salt.

I dont know too much about them but you would need to be very brave, good size tank, very good filter but restricted flow as they cant swim in high flow, vallis etc grows in brackish and they love it.

Live food every week and frozen food at least 5 times a day, they eat little and often....

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sorry! My laptop died.

I meant to say most if not all are brackish... so bit harder to look after. Would be much like keeping seahorses but with a bit less salt...

They seemed really difficult to get off of livefood and onto frozen but i did manage it with 5 of them. Took a few weeks of breeding brine shrimp to give them constant live food though! And bought in bloodworms etc...

On frozen food you need to enrich it, i used garlic (sold in the marine section normally) and atvitol or liposome frozen food supplements as on its on, it wont keep them going... and they need constant feeding... they got fed at 8:30am, 10:30am, 1pm, 3pm and 6pm. You skip feeds. They die. Simple as, thats why they are hard...

A combination of low flow but high turnover and filtration, spot on water quality and salinity all the time, they arent tolerant and constant feeding. I found it easy as they were in the shop i worked in...

However i had 2 days off and they managed to kill them. They werent fed enough so got stressed and it was in the summer when temps hit about 40 deg C in the shop and no one thought to do a water change as they werent sure about the salinity and were too busy trying to cool down all the other tanks in a room that is 38-40 deg c at room temp. Shame really... they were in really good nick! Huge bellies on them.

Best person to speak to is a guy called Neale Monks, he knows all things brackish and is a lovely guy, i know he is a member on the tropicalfishforums. He might have a website, i dont know but has written a really good book too.

(6d) Pipefishes (family Syngnathidae)

EDIT:

I never managed to find out exactly what species I had, but had a feeling they grew fairly big >20cm and were definately brackish, if the salitity was lower, they went really pale and listless...

They were really long and dark... would recognise a photo, i ought to look, has been about 3 years lol.

They were only ever in a temporary set up, but used silver sand (they could find the food ok on it!) and vallis torta in clumps so they could weave in and out. It may not have been ideal, i dont know anything about their natural habitats..

EDIT again: Doryichtys boaja, thats what i had and i thought they looked like they might get big! 41cm lol.

Im not trying to put you off by the way, i adored these fish and eventually i want a tank for pipefish, unsure which species but seen several i like!

Its just a big commitment and not one you can back out of easily as brackish fish can be hard to rehome!

I would try getting in contact with Neale, he was always a grat help.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Moogloo thank you so much for all the information and it hasn't put me off, it's just made me want to get it right even more if I was to get some.

Thinking if I can find someone who could get the type I want I would want to make sure that the Tank that they'd be kept in is as perfect as possible before I got them.
Thanks for the link also, you have been so helpful. :notworthy:
Cheers,

·
Registered
791 Posts
Not really... Artemia needs a bit of salt in the water alright but to get the eggs to hatch you need a lot of water movement, hence an airstone in the design of the breeding sets (which are easy to make with coke bottle and an air pump).

That and once they get feeding, the pipes wont leave any food over, they will just binge...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts