Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my frilled lizard is about to have eggs can anyone tell me the best way to hatch them please

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
in an incubator, never done it myself but different species hatch at different rates so you will have to have a read about it and see how long they'll take and what temps they need to be incubated at, good luck!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
They are very easy to make. To make the one I've used you'll need...

1. Polybox
2. Heat Matt
3. Matt Stat
4. Vercumilate
5. Cricket boxes
6. Max/Min Thermometer & Humidity reader!

Ok this is how it goes together.

1. Put the heat matt in the bottom of the polybox.
2. Mix some water with the vercumilate until it squeezes together. Cover the heat matt with the vercumilate (about an inch worth). Fill some crix boxes up with the vercumilate as well. Put small thumb prints in the vercumilate for the eggs to sit in. Make sure they are far enough apart so the eggs can expand.
3. Put the stat probe on top of the vercumilate in the poly box and sit the crix boxes on top of that.
4. Put your thermometer probe inside the vercumilate in the crix boxes. This is the temp the eggs will sit on after all.
5. Play with the stat until you reach the correct temperature so you eggs will cook properly.

My temp was at 84f for beardie eggs and I sprayed the eggs every other day to keep humidity up (this helps the eggs expend!). My stat is set to 92f to reach the temp in the crix boxes. I'll see if I can find a decent picture as it'll make more sense then!

Many people make them differently but they all seam to work!

Failing that you can buy one but they cost a fair bit.....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welshgaz said:

Best piccy I got....
thank you very much willl get the bits in morning thank you for your help

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
once you made the incubator..(above is one of the most used ways but there are several others..) you need to incubate at a steady 29C/84.2F and the eggs should take about 70-80 days to hatch.

couple of tips:

set up your incubator soon! it needs 48 hours to get temps steady.

once she has laid do not turn the eggs. when you remove them from the hole she has dug place them into the vermiculite in the same position you found them in.

make sure your vermiculite is not too wet or too dry (test a bit by pinching it. there should be no water dripping.)

do not spray the eggs directly...it isn't good for them. instead introduce a bit of water to the vermiculite and let it soak along.

do not give up on them until they are obviously spoilt. it is a waiting game as Gaz know all too well!!! :)

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
oh i also heard [read] that temps between 82-85 are good and apparently frillies tend to lay the second clutch about 90 days after the 1st which is also the general incubation time... apparently.

also ofcourse...umn.. u takin orders on the bubs yet? :)

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Heya congratulations!!!! I just love little frillies so i hope all goes well!!

DeanandTrese, if you're after one then the shop at Stonham Barns has them advertised on their website at the mo! I was tempted to say the least!

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
really? sweet, will give the wanker a call in the morning then :)
thanks x
oh, i didnt know abbey aquatics had a site, whas the addy?
cheers Laura [is it laura?]

Dean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts