Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all,

Today I purchased these two frogs and the guy at the shop said they are "bright eyed tree frogs", but didn't have the scientific name.

I cannot find them in any of my books or on the net.

Any ideas what species? :hmm:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah thanks, I just couldn't resist them :blush:

I stumbled across that site earlier, there are a few on there that look very similar, but none that look exactly the same. Maybe their colour/markings will change as they mature. They do look like they could be some kind of boophis.

I will keep looking though, there must be some information somewhere on these beautiful frogs!

Thank you very much for your replies.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ah thanks, I just couldn't resist them :blush:

I stumbled across that site earlier, there are a few on there that look very similar, but none that look exactly the same. Maybe their colour/markings will change as they mature. They do look like they could be some kind of boophis.

I will keep looking though, there must be some information somewhere on these beautiful frogs!

Thank you very much for your replies.

The're lovely I wouldv'e got some myself :2thumb: I'm also really tempted by blue dart frogs:flrt:

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I've been looking at variuos Boophis care sheets- most of them seem to be pretty generalised and would apply to practically any small tropical treefrog. Loz, you'll have to let us know if they do anything interestingly different!

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
I think it's a hyperolius reed frog.(African) I'm not sure exact species. Could be a male or juvenile hyperolius hieroglyphics. Boophis is Madagascan. That might help. Ask where the import came from.
How big are they?

The boophis mentioned above is critically endangered in its home.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the ideas :2thumb:

That's good to know Ron, I will have a look at some Boophis care sheets to point me in the right direction.

The guy at the shop said they are from madagascar (but not wild caught). Most of the Boophis' I've been looking at are from eastern madagascar, so like you say they should have similar care requirements.

When I put the lil guys in their new home, red patches apeared on thier backs (which have since gone again), I will try and get some more pictures in a bit.

Boophis baetkei was a very good guess, but the eyes are very different. These two have a bright blue ring around the iris, you can't see it that well on the pictures though, I really need to take some more.

I have found this one, which is the closest likeness so far:

AmphibiaWeb - Boophis rappiodes

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
751 Posts
They definitely look close it's hard to tell with frog cos it's tough sizing them from pics :) They are really cute though. How are they settling in?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
They do look close- and the red patches are suggestive, too. Bear in mind that ,many frog species vary within a population- look at the variety of markings and colours of European common frogs.

·
Super Moderator
7,034 Posts
The guy at the shop said they are from madagascar (but not wild caught). Most of the Boophis' I've been looking at are from eastern madagascar, so like you say they should have similar care requirements.
This really annoys me,shops shouldn`t be selling animals that they dont know the Latin name of.How can they offer advice on their care?

I agree that they are a Boophis,and no matter what you were told they will have been wild caught or "wild farmed".I am not against this as you wont find captive bred ones but why they cant be honest I dont know.

Good luck with them.: victory:

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
This really annoys me,shops shouldn`t be selling animals that they dont know the Latin name of.How can they offer advice on their care?

I agree that they are a Boophis,and no matter what you were told they will have been wild caught or "wild farmed".I am not against this as you wont find captive bred ones but why they cant be honest I dont know.

Good luck with them.: victory:
Im sure the latin name would be on there purchasing list!

·
Super Moderator
7,034 Posts
I may have been a bit harsh to the shop on the species name but they should certainly know the genus.

·
Registered
163 Posts
They're Boophis viridis. There seems to have been a shipment of these recently - I saw some the other day. Definitely this species, I am familiar with it in its natural habitat.

Lovely frogs!

Chris

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
They're Boophis viridis. There seems to have been a shipment of these recently - I saw some the other day. Definitely this species, I am familiar with it in its natural habitat.

Lovely frogs!

Chris
Can't see the blue eyes on the B viridis I googled? I'll take your word, for it, though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The width of the blue rim on the pupils seems to vary between individuals but it's always there. Here are a couple of photos: the frog on the leaf was taken at Andasibe, Madagascar and the one on white was a captive from the recent shipment.

Although they are unique to Madagascar and have lost a lot of their natural habitat due to slash and burn agriculture, they can be quite common in suitable places.

They belong to the same family as the Mantellas.

Chris

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.