Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks,

i thought i'd ask as i have no idea, do you buy your frozen foods online or from a store?

the reason i ask is as you can see by the big lary banner in my sig i have attempted to start my own reptile supply shop, but as my wife as a totaly irrational fear of snakes i can neber have one :cry: , im not to hot on info.

Frozen foods are something i can get and at a reasonable price i think, but obviously its only worth it if there is a demand.

so what do you think? should i add or not?

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
i get mine from a shop personally i think its easier as you can see them and choose which ones u need and ehich ones are big enough

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the supplier i use is pretty good, but i wouldnt know if thats the same for their frozen.

looking at my sstock list from them, id have to buy mice in packs of 100 and i doubt my wife would me up for that in our teeny tiny freezer! lol

gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, all size rabbits, chicken and quail i can get in small orders.... hmmmm... :?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
i usually spend about £80 each time i order (every 3-4 weeks (ish))..

and it varie's in size.. mice and rats. Mainly weaner's, small and medium rats.. i've a few on the XL mice.

Only supplying the info.. i have a collection of 25 snakes.. other's might have totally different spending regime's.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I would consider buying online (putting the weight next to the size is always very useful) if I could get decent prices

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the deal i have with the supplier is i send all live food direct from them as storing tonnes of bugs would be bad in terms of deaths and space, with mice, i'd have to either sell in packs of 100 or get them sent to me and then send them out. im not sure how this is done in order to keep them frozen en route

for the other frozens they give approx weights and i can send as many as needed as they are sold by the supplier in singes or 10s

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I travel half an hour to the best shop near me. Example of prices - £30 for 50 weaners, plus 10% I.H.S. discount =£27. Pinkies though are cheaper at a different place, -£26 for 100. Can't see online being any cheaper once postage is added.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i could do both delivered to your door at the same price for the pinkies and proberbly a only a pound more for the weaners although i'd have to break a pack of 100 to do it

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Online prices for frozen foods can be considerably cheaper than shops.
For instance I recently paid 17.5p each for pinkies online while my local pet shop charges 50 or 60p depending on how many you buy.
Prices may vary online depending how many you buy , the supplier I use offers discounts if you order 500+ mice.
In reality ordering online is only worthwhile if you can store relatively large ammounts of food that will be used within 3 months.
Please bear in mind the delivery charges that will be added to the cost of the food

John

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Let me just see if i have this correct.

You have opened an online shop and you are looking to sell products that you have no experience of?
You are then not even getting the products you sell yourself, you are just getting the supplier to ship directly to the customer?

Also if you think £2.30 + delivery is a good price for livefoods then you have done no research at all into the market you are trying to join.
I sell at £1.10 + delivery and i know for a fact i am not the cheapest out there, competetive but not the cheapest.

IMO this is the problem with internet sales, anyone can jump in and have a go, despite a lack of knowledge of both the competition and the hobby/trade itself :evil:

If i were you i'd go back to keeping as a hobby until you have a decent knowledge base of the WHOLE subject.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you READ the post i have no exp with snakes and frozen foods my prices reflect my supplier and the fact royal mail are assholes, you sell yours at that price fine but im just trying to make some money to help pay the bills and am asking for help in an area i dont know much about, the frozens in case i can get more sales with them. so whats the point in being rude?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lostcorn said:
Online prices for frozen foods can be considerably cheaper than shops.
For instance I recently paid 17.5p each for pinkies online while my local pet shop charges 50 or 60p depending on how many you buy.
Prices may vary online depending how many you buy , the supplier I use offers discounts if you order 500+ mice.
In reality ordering online is only worthwhile if you can store relatively large ammounts of food that will be used within 3 months.
Please bear in mind the delivery charges that will be added to the cost of the food

John
i think ill do by request but not put them on the site, i dont have the room to divide them up and store them, but will happily suppy if anyone requests some

thanks for everyones help :D

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Apoca6 said:
if you READ the post i have no exp with snakes and frozen foods my prices reflect my supplier and the fact royal mail are assholes, you sell yours at that price fine but im just trying to make some money to help pay the bills and am asking for help in an area i dont know much about, the frozens in case i can get more sales with them. so whats the point in being rude?
I read the post just fine.

You are selling products you have no experience of with no other quality control than that provided by the supplier.

Get some experience and try again.

You're just another trying to make money with no idea about what you're doing, that's the point.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I AM NOT SELLING THE BLOODY FROZEN STUFF THATS WHY I AM ASKING ADVICE. i really cant say it any clearer than that.

sorry to shout folks :D

rob

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
At the moment i buy from a local shop because they do me cheap prices but mice are getting smaller and smaller and like everywhere they tend to come from lithuania so i'd imagine that if you can get good sized mice i.e. jumbos that are BIG mice etc you'd do quite well i know if you did mice that weren't gonna smell or go minging when defrosted and guarantee frozen arrival i.e. NOT letting TNT handle them i'd definitely order as when i do bulk orders i do about £2-300 at a time for 3months.

Rachel

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im looking into how they will be shipped for a couple people, once i know that i a can start to do orders to demand :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts