Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Hello :)

Just after some advice please....

How long can you keep frozen Mice in the freezer for?

Im looking to buy bulk orders of Pinkies,Small Mice and Large Mice but as I only have 3 snakes (All on different size foods! Great!) They will be in the freezer for a while!..

I have had enough of paying 75p for a Fluffy!!!

Any help would be great

Cheers
Bex
x

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
3 Months,livefoodsdirect.co.uk maybe they are cheaper, dont no the price individually, but they sell bulk packs!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I keep mine in the freezer for months, as long as there in a sealed container so they dont get frost bitten i dont think it really matters.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
I keep mine in the freezer for months, as long as there in a sealed container so they dont get frost bitten i dont think it really matters.
me too, i probably dont have mine over 3 months many times, but mine are very well wrapped still, i usually use a whole bag of most sizes each feed anyway lol

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
food starts breaking down after 3 months in the freezer so even tho the mice/rats may look ok on the outside the inside may not be that clevor and also you dont know how long the supplier has had them so i just but what i need for a couple of weeks and then go and get more

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
thats the main reason i started breeding my own asi knew the exact dates, i just couldnt keep up with the required amount

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you get them from a reputable dealer they will have sourced the mice/rats from a breeder, most breeders of rats/mice for the reptile trade flash freeze their stock,

flash freezing extends the freezer life while preserving the nutrients needed for your reps. therfore you can keep them frozen for longer as opposed to the conventional method of freezing.:)

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
If you get them from a reputable dealer they will have sourced the mice/rats from a breeder, most breeders of rats/mice for the reptile trade flash freeze their stock,

flash freezing extends the freezer life while preserving the nutrients needed for your reps. therfore you can keep them frozen for longer as opposed to the conventional method of freezing.:)
hun that may be the case but i dont live round the corner from the rep shop and i dont think many people do so when u are taking the rats/mice home then they are gonna defrost to some degree as i dont have a freezer in my car i just buy enough to last me a couple of weeks then i go back and get morexx

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fair enough, i dont live too close to one, a good tip i picked up was a cool bag and freezer blocks, they sell the blocks in tesco 2 for a quid, this keeps all my frozen furries cold till i get home!!!!!:lol2:

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
good idea hun i think i may have to go tesco and it will stop my wains crying when we pass mcdonalds and dont turn in cos the mice will defrost

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
thats the main reason i started breeding my own asi knew the exact dates, i just couldnt keep up with the required amount
breeding your own, do you just freeze them alive, when there the write size or what. gas them?

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So Basically about 3 months I can keep them for?

In that case then if anyone lives closeish to me and wants to share an order can you pm me :)
xxx

Cheers everyone
x

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
A good tip to keep them slightly longer is to put a few that will go over 3 months into separate freezer bags and seal them tight... They should last a while longer then!

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
anyone now a site which sells fluffs, for not a huge amount?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
They are all pretty much similar and its the postage that rapes you! Then only way its worth it is to order quite a bit!

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its crazy on Livefoods I can get 20Pinkies for the price of 50 on camzoo!!! But I wouldnt use 50... Guess it would be worth getting them in case of bustage (one burst yesterday the water was to hot!) Plus the beardies have one once a month ..

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
i wouldn't warm pinkies up in hot water it cooks them quick which isn't want you snakie wants..... I always use a small heat mat to warm all mine, including the large rats for my royal

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I normaly just use warm water to warm them up but little bro poured the bloody kettle water in it!!! ... Miss Pixie wont eat them any other way she is a fussy mooie!!!

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Its crazy on Livefoods I can get 20Pinkies for the price of 50 on camzoo!!! But I wouldnt use 50... Guess it would be worth getting them in case of bustage (one burst yesterday the water was to hot!) Plus the beardies have one once a month ..
it says "Must not to be ordered onlydocument.write(displayStandardVariants(Entry[2])); " what the hell does that meen, doesn't make any sence. also has anyone ordered frozen food from here before, do they come Frozen!?

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think its the pinkies that must not be ordered alone because of the fact they will defrost very quickly.. I think as long as you order with other frozen stuff they should be ok...

Im going to ask if they will sell bulk orders from my local pet shop.. may be worth a try

1 - 20 of 41 Posts