Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am about to be a first time snake owner (Eastern Chain Kingsnake), I've been doing tons of research before actually purchasing the snake, and have set up a bioactive terrarium (courtesy of The Bio Dude). Not long after I finished setting up the bioactive terrarium, I noticed a handful of fruit flies already making themselves comfortable in this new habitat. I know they don't pose any threat to the vivarium or the snake, but they are such an eye sore!

I have thought of a solution, but after further research I have a few safety concerns for my snake.

I was going to catch some green lizards (Carolina anole's) as they are very common in my area, and their diet partially consists of fruit flies. Plus if my snake gets hungry between scheduled feedings, he can just eat the lizard. Win win, right? However, what I discovered is that they are commonly parasitized by flesh flies.

"Anoles are parasitized by some species of sarcophagid flies, including Lepidodexia blakeae.[16] Adult flies will deposit eggs on live anoles, and the fly larvae develop inside the lizard until they emerge from a wound and pupate into adult flies in sediment. Infection is often fatal, with mortality rates possibly as high as 90%" - quoted from Wikipedia.

If I happened to be unlucky enough to capture a parasitized anole, would that pose any threat to my snake? Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Side note: I'm aware that a common strategy to get rid of fruit flies in your vivarium is to dry out as much of the moisture as possible, however, with a bioactive vivarium I'm very hesitant to do this out of concern for the live plants, as well as the isopods and springtails.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey everyone, I am about to be a first time snake owner (Eastern Chain Kingsnake), I've been doing tons of research before actually purchasing the snake, and have set up a bioactive terrarium (courtesy of The Bio Dude). Not long after I finished setting up the bioactive terrarium, I noticed a handful of fruit flies already making themselves comfortable in this new habitat. I know they don't pose any threat to the vivarium or the snake, but they are such an eye sore!

I have thought of a solution, but after further research I have a few safety concerns for my snake.

I was going to catch some green lizards (Carolina anole's) as they are very common in my area, and their diet partially consists of fruit flies. Plus if my snake gets hungry between scheduled feedings, he can just eat the lizard. Win win, right? However, what I discovered is that they are commonly parasitized by flesh flies.

"Anoles are parasitized by some species of sarcophagid flies, including Lepidodexia blakeae.[16] Adult flies will deposit eggs on live anoles, and the fly larvae develop inside the lizard until they emerge from a wound and pupate into adult flies in sediment. Infection is often fatal, with mortality rates possibly as high as 90%" - quoted from Wikipedia.

If I happened to be unlucky enough to capture a parasitized anole, would that pose any threat to my snake? Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Side note: I'm aware that a common strategy to get rid of fruit flies in your vivarium is to dry out as much of the moisture as possible, however, with a bioactive vivarium I'm very hesitant to do this out of concern for the live plants, as well as the isopods and springtails.

put a mixture of vinegar and orange juice in a small container with plastic wrap over the top and poke holes in it and they should go in there too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts