Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, I have posted this here as I find 'General Herp Chat' is not as well frequented and that left 'Off Topic' which this is not, however if someone feels the need to move it be my guest.

Now, at my last local reptile group meeting we got asked the question 'What does your club do?' and apart from the usual (having very informative talks, getting drunk, seeing other peoples animals, meeting like-minded people etc) we don't actually support any causes, which we thought as a group would be something fun we could do, and I think (not 100% confirmed yet) this year we are going to fund-raise for the Blue Iguana:

(Cyclura lewisi) is a critically endangered animal that lives on the island of Grand Cayman. It is currently estimated that only a mere 25 animals still survive; the wild population is expected to be extinct within the first decade of the twenty-first century. The animals' demise is mainly driven by human pets (cats and dogs) and indirectly by the destruction of their natural habitat as fruit farms are converted to cattle grazing.

Since 2004, 219 captive-bred iguanas have been released into a preserve on Grand Cayman run by a partnership headed by the Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust, in an attempt to save the crtically endangered species. Some success with naturally-laid eggs has been reported.

I was actually thinking has anything like this been discussed before on here? I will set up a poll in a bit to find out interest but I was wondering firstly to the moderators whether it would be something they would consider doing? Also any ideas on what we could support would be great.

Edited: I didn't mean in my club I meant as a forum, in case of any confusion.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Cara hun, I did say yes to the poll. Have you ever been to they Caymens??? They do wonderful stuff for their natural species. With the tourist trade, they actually breed turtles (of different species) some for the table and some to release into the wild. I did go to the 'turtle farm', but it is more of a breeding centre and at least the ones that are bred for the table takes away the risk of poachers. I know it sounds like a double edged sword - but at least the lil guys have a chance in the wild.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, no I haven't been but I have been reading up about it a bit and it sounds like a lovely place, would love to visit it at some point. As I said any suggestions as to other reptiles (and other exotic animals? possibly something else to consider) and causes we could support would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Cara, I could show my butt in Fenwick's window for the fear factor and raise loads of cash to cover it up, but (a) dont think they would let me and (b) not the type of fund raising you are thinking of. I'll ask my local rep shop if I could put a poster up (when I get a new printer next week) I am sure Maureen would back up on this. But you have to let me know a lot more about what you intend doing, what charities/organisations etc that would benefit and also a valid account for the funds. sorry to be a bit harsh, but there are so many scams out there, as you will know, just need to be certain before I put myself on the line.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Defiantly, as I said at the min I'm just doing research and generating interest, I wouldn't expect anyone to help without me producing proof of which charities etc and I would more than likely (unsure of the legal side still tho) post the accounts on here regularly etc, but again at the min I'm just seeing how much interest there would be, and your not being harsh at all, just careful, which is completely understandable, you can't trust random people you meet on the net!! Another thought (oh I'm full of em today & it hurts lol) we could possibly donate to some of the reptile rescue centres but I'm not sure that we would all be able to agree on who to and who not to...

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
the charities fighting the reptile skin indutries,they kill so many for clothes ,aabags, shoes etc.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats a good idea, thanks Miranda, will have a look into that, anybody know the names of any of these charities off the top of their heads?

NOTE TO EVERYONE: I don't want this thread going like many others with lots of arguing going on, so if anyone has any problems with anything I or anyone else writes could you please keep in via PM's, I'm happy for people to discuss reasons for and against supporting certain charities but please no personal insults and keep everything debate like please, no personal feelings! Think that about covers it. Cheers in advance everyone.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also I only have access to the internet at work (Mon-Wed, Fri & Sat 9-5) so if I get any PMs/replys to my threads and don't get back to anyone immediately thats why, I'm not ignoring you! So after 5 tonight I wont be on again until Monday. :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they haven't yours are on the poll thread, this is just another thread with info!! :p

·
Registered
380 Posts
cara your an angel , its a great idea, put your group to good use lol
by the way this is hunnyxbunny
We did some stalls last year to raise funds for the sspca (they are amazing and we have had sooooo much help) we used her big reps to educate and charged £2 to let someone have a wee hold of them , we spent all day talking to huge crowds and showing them off, a pic with a snake was a fiver and we got posters and leaflets from the sspca to hand out. We raised £260 after taking out the money we spent to make the stall and pay fees to be allowed to do what we did. So in all we raised about £285. that was only 1 day, this years were doing all the galadays thats 1 every weekend for about 8 weeks, we will use only 2 to be held (2 of our own) and we set up photos etc, also a poster showing neglect and sickness, we also take a couple of vivs along with smaller snakes for passers buys to be nosey.
Our lenny the CRB loved all the attention and spent all day in the sunshine roaming long grass in the enclosure we made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts