Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start a thread for those of us out there that have done, rescues whether DWA or not, come on people lets hear them..............

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
As many will know I maintain a decent DWA collection at home, so a year ago my neighbour bang on the front door in a panic about an escaped snake in here kitchen!

I nearly shit myself!

Even though I knew nothing from the "hot" room was missing you sort of forget than and all reason goes out the window!

I grab tongs, a hook and gloves and race next door.

I the kitchen is a box of freshly delivered organic veg and next to it a very large confused Slow Worm!

We do not get slow worms in our area so it must have come in the veg box!

Took me ages to show it it was a harmless lizard and not a snake that would kill her!

Funny now but not so at the time!

·
Registered
56 Posts
When doing rescues I always find some amusing especially the ones that are 'big and vicious' one example was a Bosc that we collected a few months ago....
'it's about 18 months 2ft long and aggresive' is what we were told, so when we arrived I almost laughed when I saw this 8 month old Bosc no bigger than 10 inches.... She was one of the most soppy monitors I've ever encountered.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of my more memorable ones, got a call from a little old lady in Simon's Town who had a snake in her canary cage that was upsetting the canary.......... Got in my car and rushed over, got there and the old dear was in a state, she could not hear her canary anymore. Said cage was part of a ornamental chandalier. So had to get a step ladder and up I went. Found a rather full and content Boomslang stuck in the cage. He had eaten the canary and could not get out.

I mentioned this to the old dear who demanded that I remove the animal ASAP.

Now problem 1, up a step ladder

Problem 2 no hands to hold said snake

The poor thing was all slow and content so I wrapped it around my neck and held the head with one hand, came down the ladder to stand right next to the curious old dear who wasn't paying close attention.

When I got off the ladder she gave me a strange look as she slowly focused on what was around my neck and the the light came on...........

She promptly let out a squeal and fell over like a felled tree............

Reactions: corpselight

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Wait so you just happened to casually wrap this boomslang around your neck, holding its head with one hand whilst you climbed down the step ladder.

However, if this canary cage was part of an ornamental chandelier, how on earth did this Boomslang get up into the cage? .. Did it have wings, or some form of levitation device?

Find it hard to imagine a little old lady going up and down a step ladder all the time to tend to her beloved Canary (R.I.P.). Not to mention how did she see said snake from the ground?

What happened after this old lady fell over? It seems abit OTT dramatic if you ask me. Did you steal her wallet? Pull her up with one hand, whilst calmly holding a Boomslang around your neck with the other still?

As you can see, Im somewhat skeptical about your story. Although I can see how I could easily be mistaken and this is 100% true. :whistling2:

So Im going to be the first to call BS on the whole thing...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dude firstly I'm not a yob, said old lady had a maid to help her, living in Simons Town she was living in a mansion, chandelier was hanging from a wooden beam in the ceiling, secondly ask anyone who has done Boomslang rescues, they are really easy to work with and placid to handle!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Dude firstly I'm not a yob, said old lady had a maid to help her, living in Simons Town she was living in a mansion, chandelier was hanging from a wooden beam in the ceiling, secondly ask anyone who has done Boomslang rescues, they are really easy to work with and placid to handle!

But boomslangs are snakes... not birds..

They don't stick to walls either contrary to popular belief..

·
Registered
4,785 Posts

Ahh right you never said she had a maid and was living in a big old mansion in your first message! Now it all makes perfect sense and I totally believe it.

Silly you, eh. :whistling2:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
One of my more memorable ones, got a call from a little old lady in Simon's Town who had a snake in her canary cage that was upsetting the canary.......... Got in my car and rushed over, got there and the old dear was in a state, she could not hear her canary anymore. Said cage was part of a ornamental chandalier. So had to get a step ladder and up I went. Found a rather full and content Boomslang stuck in the cage. He had eaten the canary and could not get out.

I mentioned this to the old dear who demanded that I remove the animal ASAP.

Now problem 1, up a step ladder

Problem 2 no hands to hold said snake

The poor thing was all slow and content so I wrapped it around my neck and held the head with one hand, came down the ladder to stand right next to the curious old dear who wasn't paying close attention.

When I got off the ladder she gave me a strange look as she slowly focused on what was around my neck and the the light came on...........

She promptly let out a squeal and fell over like a felled tree............
Well, I liked the story. DWA an interestin' syubject!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts