Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for posting so much but i really like other peoples input, all your hlep has been tremendous so far, i didnt realise i could elarn so much in such a short amount of time!

I found this in my females tank today and it got me a little worried, Its my nutrobol dish... You know calcium + Vit dish.

It seems to be all soggy, at first i thought my leo has diarrhea but she seems fine and only poo's in one corner, she has just laid eggs so im fattening her up and leaving the vitamin supplement in 24/7.

It just looks and smells like the stuff got wet, this time it was next to the water bowl but it happend before and it was nowhere near the water bowl?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Could it be that shes urinated in it? Or should i hide with embarassment now? lol

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought their urine came out in a pellet

·
Registered
979 Posts
have you tried just putting the calcium in a much smaller dish, like a jam lid or a milk bottle lid, thats what i do, i only put calcium in though not nutrobal, i dont know about other people, if there is both nutrobal and calcium in the dish together perhaps it reacts somehow.

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
urine CAN come out as urine:) but doesnt too often;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
might there be excess humidity in the tank or loose crickets which could add moisture to the powder? i think over time the powder reacts and goes brown, so doubt any input from leos.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Not totally sure with leos, but pretty sure they can OD on vitamins, think you're only supposed to offer calcium. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im not sure about that one but i went down my local reptile shop and she told me i didnt need to buy the calcium, practically refused to sell it to me because she said my female would need the vitamins aswell as the calcium as shes going to loose all of her nutrients developing eggs, Im no sure myself but thats what ive been doing.

Correct me if im wrong, i could do with steering in the right direction

I seem to have done well so far, she has produced two eggs one prob dud the other prob infertile, but this is her first clutch. And shes back up to a nice healthy weight with a great tail. All thanks to her love of locusts and waxies lol.

My male wont even touch waxies but she eats em like candy! Its a good job i restrict them cos i hear they are addictive. Shed eat a whole tub if she could lol Fat old moo!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Not totally sure with leos, but pretty sure they can OD on vitamins, think you're only supposed to off calcium. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong though.
this is very true, they can get vitamin poisoning, it can be very bad for them. although i expect they wouldnt be licking from the dish very often, i have calcium in all my vivs and its only really the gravid females that lick it and even then its not very often.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Im not sure about that one but i went down my local reptile shop and she told me i didnt need to buy the calcium, practically refused to sell it to me because she said my female would need the vitamins aswell as the calcium as shes going to loose all of her nutrients developing eggs, Im no sure myself but thats what ive been doing.

Correct me if im wrong, i could do with steering in the right direction

I seem to have done well so far, she has produced two eggs one prob dud the other prob infertile, but this is her first clutch. And shes back up to a nice healthy weight with a great tail. All thanks to her love of locusts and waxies lol.

My male wont even touch waxies but she eats em like candy! Its a good job i restrict them cos i hear they are addictive. Shed eat a whole tub if she could lol Fat old moo!

nutrobal has calcium in it anyway, personnally i would just dust the crix whatever with it a couple of times a week, with literrally a pinch in a bag and shake them up, and just leave a jar lid with calypso, or grated cuttlefish in the viv, they know themselves if they need extra calcium and will lick it if they do.
And on the contrary to all of this GUT LOADED crix or locusts is far more important.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
as DIZ has said..^^
i just have some grated cuttle fish, its 100% calcium and only my gravid females lick at it, sometimes the odd male thats been humping all day, but normally females that are gravid...:)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Ours has gone like yours, we dusted the mealies with nutribol and it went all gooey for the past few nights. Last night it didnt, i decided to try it in the cold end so maybe it is the heat. No idea though i would like to find out why it goes gooey, it look nasty lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts