Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
blade, my ,milk is a fussy eater, and i often have trouble, and he refuses around very other feed, i have read some info, which suggests rubbing the mouse(a fuzzy 4 him) on a live mouse/rat to give it better scent. could i try rubbing it on my lizard, or putting it in his(lizards) shedded skin 4 a while to try to get a better feeding responce. is this safe for both parties?

on a simalar note, has anyone used the lizard maker from T-Rex? does it work.
he will only take brained, and usually drawn mice if left in a paper bag overnight, so i would like a better respose to moniter his feeding, so i can see if any probles arise.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm wouldnt use the skin!! :shock:

I have a mate that used to use T-rex lizard maker for his stubborn milk it worked and it turned out to be the only thing that his milk would accept!

hope this helps!

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Why not use the skin? Shed skin from a gecko or similar would be fine to put on the mouse for scent.. milks eat lizards in the wild, skin and all :lol:
However lizard maker is easier to use and more reliable in terms of supply.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Just because he doesn't feed every time you offer shoudln't be a concern especially if he still eats every other time.

He'll eat when he's ready and eventually he'll feed on non-brained items.

It will mean he grows slower but that doesnt matter in the scheme of things.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
How often are you feeding him, it may be an idea to increase the time between feed by a couple of day,

eg if ya feed every 5 days increase to every 7 days,

This will hopefully give him longer to digest food and pass waste, to allow him to be hungrier when you come to feed again.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tigger79 said:
How often are you feeding him, it may be an idea to increase the time between feed by a couple of day,

eg if ya feed every 5 days increase to every 7 days,

This will hopefully give him longer to digest food and pass waste, to allow him to be hungrier when you come to feed again.
i was told he should eat 2 or 3 times per week, and my schedual is every 4 days (after research i found 2/3 to be too much) it is not too much of a worry, but i would, as i say, prefer a strike/take feed so i can see that he is swallowing ok, and to judge better if he needs a size up or not. he is currently a little uinder 2 foot, around 20-22 inches and around 1/2inch in diameter.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as simple a that lol he takes one about every 8 days now, so prob wouldnt notice 1 day less! aslong as hes happy im happy.
any tips on getting him to eat outside of the paperbag?

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
hissy has decided to refuse a feed aswell the wee shit dont know what to do now thats 2 rats wasted maybe its just the time of the year or something

·
Registered
194 Posts
I also prefer the strike feed :) I feed my nelsons milk on a flat stone in his vivarium which used to have a small hide over it so that he could just poke out his head and grab the food anyway after a while I found he would come over to the area and "hunt" even when his hide wasnt there! This meant I could begin to feed him in the open but still on/around the stone as the stone prevents aspen sticking to the mouse and being ingested :)

The other day he was no where to be seen in the viv when I went to feed him so I placed the mouse on the stone...whilst turning over every hide and scraping back the aspen looking for him...admittedly in a bit of a panic...then I felt something brush my arm I looked down an there was a very content looking snakey at my elbow (by the stone) and no mouse to be seen!!

I don't know whether the stone has picked up some scent from the food (even though its washed on a regular basis) or whether snakey just thinks its a good hunting area :lol: but he used to only like eating there

Even though now I can feed him wherever I like he still searches round the stone first :D

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I have used Lizard maker on my baby non feeding corns. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. I've always wondered if the times that its worked, whether the snake would have fed then anyway. Worth a try if you get desperate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts