Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have heard alot of stories about the venom of these speices, most of it conflicting. i have been told that the venom is as powerful, as a timber rattlesnake, and by other people, as weak as a bee sting. does anyone know the true extent of the venom, i would like to know as i want to get hoggies now, and an FWC somwhere in the future. and if anyone has been tagged, could you please share you expirances.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
i have photos somewhere of me in hospital after a hognose bite to the finger which resulted in massive swelling and numbness of the hand which spread as far as the elbow after around 4 hours,looked like i was wearing a skin glove full of water,the whole affair lasted for about 14 hours after which the swelling dissipated without treatment,the snake in question was around twelve inches in length.
the latest research on snake venom has concluded that ALL snakes possess venom of one sort or another but only the most evolved possess a venom delivery system efficient enough to make them a danger.
i have observed grass snakes in eastern europe catching frogs and after the snake got to grips with the frog they invariably gave up struggling very quickly and there after made no attempt to escape,if a frog was retrieved from the mouth of a snake it would take sometime for it to get its self together enough to bugger off,also some years ago a Russian researcher died after being bitten by a grass snake,i guess it depends upon the sensitivity of the individual,after all some people can pop their clogs with a single wasp sting etc etc,hope this helps.
regards gaz

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
As someone that has been bitten by these species (I assume you only want to know about western hognoses.. though the more potent madascan hogs are much more appealing in my eyes) I can say that unless you are extremely unlucky a hognose bite is hardly worth mentioning.
Their dentition is quite poor for invenomation - they have to be allowed to chew for a prolonged length of time to even get the venom into you.

Moreover hognoses are very reluctant to bite as a rule, so the chances of not only being bitten, but then also having a reaction to the venom are remote to say the least. I would happily recommend the species to children.

As for FWCs (Hydrodynastes gigas) - these snakes are generally tank territorial and so it is easy to get bitten when going into the viv. They also have a tremendous feeding response and are not for the faint hearted :lol:

Reactions to FWC bites vary, but in my opinion their venom is both more potent and more easily administered than that of the western hognose (heterodon nasicus). My bites (from an adult male) bled profusely and there was also some swelling. There was no pain to speak of however, bar the actual breaking of the skin.
I am generally quite resistant to the venom of rear fanged species, so FWC bites may seem considerably worse to some. Heart palpatations are regularly reported.

I dont know how much experience you have, but the questions you ask here suggest it is rather limited. A hognose should not be beyond your capabilities (I can send you my care sheet if you like?) but I wouldnt be thinking about FWCs yet. I happen to have a very calm and docile female, but I have also encountered plenty of unpredictable and "strike happy" ones too :lol:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my expiriance is of about ten years reading, 5 of which "intescive" and 3 years with royals, corns, milks, kings, and a burm. i also have expiriance in handling a friends adders (he no longer has them, i made him relese), and wild adders (capture and relese) but i am by no means an expert by any streach of the word, i would however like to gain expiriance in deeling with the more dangerous snakes, and some day within 5 years, i would like to own some vipers. if you know of how i could obtain more exp, suggestions appriciated.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
With the experience listed you may be able to handle an fwc (it honestly depends on the animal) though they are well known for being used as DWA training snakes. As such, I would find the meanest FWC you can and endeavor NEVER to get tagged by it.
If you can manage this you can consider moving on to more formal venomous training (the best way to do this is to find someone already working with venomous and befriend them, easier said than done sometimes :lol: )

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that is good advice, now who has a dwa in my area, i know 1 guy with a caiman...thats about all, does anyone know of any courses, i was reccomended to one person, while talking to somone, at the basildon show, but i forgot the guys name, apparently he does weekend courses

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I'm not sure.. there was talk of it a while ago with Pete Blake I think? I know Dan (reticulatus) has apparently been looking into it too, but whether anything has been started I dont know.. perhaps PM him?

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Note the snake "started to chew" and "hung on" These incidents are almost unheard of if the snake is removed promptly - the person in the photos was most unfortunate!

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
PendleHog said:
Note the snake "started to chew" and "hung on" These incidents are almost unheard of if the snake is removed promptly - the person in the photos was most unfortunate!

i know, mine never did more than hiss. but it shows what happens when someone lets them chew, obviously this reaction might not happen to everyone

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
PendleHog said:
Nope, but you wouldnt wanna try it out would you?! :shock:
nope. i used to have a madagascar hoggie too and was always worried about that biting as i could never get a clear answer on how strong the bite was. and it was alot more aggressive. There was talk about that becoming dwa years ago along with some centipedes but neither happened :D

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I have had madagascans too, got bitten on the side by her once which wasnt very pleasant. Not all that much happened but they are certainly more potent than westerns!

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
who mentioned centepeds? they are the only animal i am truly scared of, they are arhhhhhhhhh. wiltons, in pitsea has some for £30 and i was soo tempted to buy one, buy with my track record of escapees , i thought better of it. is it true that they can kill people with their venom (without anaphalatic shock (if i spelled that right i am surprised), ive heard that the heamotoxisity (again sp) is enough to kill somone without a reaction

god i should try to research myself, but i come across so much bull that i dont trust many people anymore.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
it sounds like your wanting to head the way that im looking into atm.

im lucky enough that my local pet shop has alot of knowledge about dwa and after a lengthy convo with andy (leaping lizards) he told me what i would need to do to enquire for a license and whats a good starting species!

like has been mentioned above a false water cobra is what i was advised to go for to get into the whole characteristics of hot snakes! as they act like a cobra (bar dont rear up as pronounced as a cobra) and are as smart but a dwa license isnt required!

apparently they are very intelligent and you have to change your routines constantly as they clock on to what your doing if you do it repeatitively and will happily have a chomp on you :lol:

ive had no dealings with hoggies so i cant say anything regarding them :?

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
people react differently to bites anyway, depends on more than the strength of the venom but ur own body tissues and capabilities, what doesnt affect another could essentially be potentially critical to another.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
i'd try and contact pete blake at reptile zone in bristol. he's very experienced and always happy to help anyone who is serious about getting a new species. he's been very helpful in planning for my first green tree python. he's got taipans, mamba's and all sorts in the shop and if you give them a ring they'll show you the DWA snakes on a saturday.
i know it's a bit far from you but i think you can find an e mail on their web site

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
had a look on the websit and it looks great, looked at trains and was dissapointed:( 4 hours give or take, and £54 fare:( if only they were closer to home.

ne other ideas, less than an hours travel is good:)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
As far as I've read, a hoggie bite (even if they chew a bit), can be helped greatly by taking some anti-histamines and anti-inflammatories, and hopefully you should'nt get much swelling. That was advice given by a well read-up vet.

So getting a bite really shouldnt be too much to worry about!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts