Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in getting a False Water Cobra. The questions I have are how easy are they to look after and how available are they? I haven't seen any on the classifieds section :(

It would only be my second snake, so would you recommend getting one or not?

Obviously I will do more research before getting one depending on what you guys say :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Personally, there attitude paired with there venom does scare me away from them quite a bit.
They are very viv defensive, and go ape when you go near it, also they can get very big. From these thoughts alone I will not get one unless I have kept snakes for a good few years and am confident dealing with something that could make my arm swell up :lol2:
Do alot of reading and take a look at the bite they can produce while you consider one :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
I was in a shop last weekend who has a breeding project with these. The adults do get pretty long but aren't very bulky. They said they're very food orientated but once they establish you're not food (i.e. tap training or similar) they're fine to handle or work around. No more of a handful than a similar sized carpet (apparently).

With regards to venom etc you have to remember they're rear fanged and so even if you do get tagged they have to munch on you for quite a while to get their fangs in to you and even then they may not inject any venom, and even if they do it's a small amount (compared to a front fanged). So venom isn't an issue really.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel rather stupid for making this thread now haha. I posted it as I was about to hit Google. Most sites are saying to treat it as if it were a DWA species!! Maybe I will give this one a miss for now. Maybe in a few years ;)

They do look really awesome though, I was thinking of getting a royal python when I came across this species. I don't really want to get a species that everyone has but I need to balance the rarity of the snake with it's ease of care as I'm new to reptile keeping.

Have you got any suggestions on less well known but easy to look after species?

Thanks for the reply by the way :thumb2:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I feel rather stupid for making this thread now haha. I posted it as I was about to hit Google. Most sites are saying to treat it as if it were a DWA species!! Maybe I will give this one a miss for now. Maybe in a few years ;)

They do look really awesome though, I was thinking of getting a royal python when I came across this species. I don't really want to get a species that everyone has but I need to balance the rarity of the snake with it's ease of care as I'm new to reptile keeping.

Have you got any suggestions on less well known but easy to look after species?

Thanks for the reply by the way :thumb2:

COLUMBIAN RAINBOW BOA! Stunning, fun and not the most popular rainbow boa :)

Have a look around, house snakes, gophers, go to a shop and enquire about different species :) This is what I did, and how I ended up with my CRB! There is plenty snakes out there that are not kept by a lot :)
Always keep a FWC in mind though. They are absolutely stunning snakes and can be perfectly fine to be handled once you get past the struggle getting them out of the viv :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My OH won't let me get anything that big yet. I've not long convinced her to let me get a corn snake! haha! I was thinking of just getting a rarer morph. Probably going to be either another corn a king or milksnake. My nearest reptile shop has a really nice albino peublan milksnake that nearly had a new owner last time I went there ;)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
My OH won't let me get anything that big yet. I've not long convinced her to let me get a corn snake! haha! I was thinking of just getting a rarer morph. Probably going to be either another corn a king or milksnake. My nearest reptile shop has a really nice albino peublan milksnake that nearly had a new owner last time I went there ;)
Rainbow boas get to the same size as corns, my family don't believe that yet because neonates are rather large in comparison! Reptile shops are always great to wander around and spot new things. I have found a love for several different snakes from my local one :)

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
as a rule yeah they can be fast & feisty but theres always exceptions , a mate of mine had 1 that was daft as a brush .
you could always end up with a snake from a sp thats considered generally placid but end up with the exception that turns out to be mentaloid .
some corns , royals , boa's etc just end up gnarly .
its down to the individual snake really .
but as a 2nd snake i'd advise against a fwc .

plenty of overlooked sp out there that would fit the bill for you though ,
just have a look round the forum , see what catches your eye & have a read up on it ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rainbow boas get to the same size as corns, my family don't believe that yet because neonates are rather large in comparison! Reptile shops are always great to wander around and spot new things. I have found a love for several different snakes from my local one :)
I didn't know that, I just seen the word 'boa' and thought big. I love going to the reptile shop even just for a browse :) I am waiting for my local shop to get its next batch of corn morphs in. I would love a lavender or anery lavender :flrt:

as a rule yeah they can be fast & feisty but theres always exceptions , a mate of mine had 1 that was daft as a brush .
you could always end up with a snake from a sp thats considered generally placid but end up with the exception that turns out to be mentaloid .
some corns , royals , boa's etc just end up gnarly .
its down to the individual snake really .
but as a 2nd snake i'd advise against a fwc .

plenty of overlooked sp out there that would fit the bill for you though ,
just have a look round the forum , see what catches your eye & have a read up on it ;)
I am always on here looking for my next snake. Just a shame I live in the middle of nowhere. Nearest snakes for sale are always 80+ miles :(

I think my best bet is going to be to pick a species on here and then to get the shop to order it in. It will probably cost me a lot more that way though :bash:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I am always on here looking for my next snake. Just a shame I live in the middle of nowhere. Nearest snakes for sale are always 80+ miles :(

I think my best bet is going to be to pick a species on here and then to get the shop to order it in. It will probably cost me a lot more that way though :bash:
There is always reptile couriers :) can be slightly pricey, but if you compare it to the time you will have the snake for, and the ease of getting the snake you really want is worth it :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is always reptile couriers :) can be slightly pricey, but if you compare it to the time you will have the snake for, and the ease of getting the snake you really want is worth it :)
How much does that cost though, as the snakes I'd be interested in aren't very pricey. Not much point paying half the snakes worth for a courier :lol2:

If they aren't too expensive I'd definitely look into it though :)

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
get 1 from whatever source you find & get it couriered ,
ive had stuff couriered over 200 miles & only paid £35 ;)

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Bull snakes and Pine snakes make great 2nd snakes that aren't too common.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
That sounds like a really good idea then :2thumb:

I'm guessing they are dedicated reptile couriers who know what they are doing though? Wouldn't like it if my new snakey arrived ill or worse.....
yup , reptile couriers & i cant reccommend siaz enough :2thumb:

you should def get the albino pueblan:whistling2:

how could you resist that^^:lol2:
how long was it before the stretching ?
looks like it tapers twice like a mallow flump sweet thats been pulled :lol2:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you should def get the albino pueblan:whistling2:

how could you resist that^^:lol2:
If the one I saw was a hatchling it would be in my house right now. I want to raise my snakes from when they're young because seeing them grow is half the fun :)

Bull snakes and Pine snakes make great 2nd snakes that aren't too common.
I'm googling them now :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
yup , reptile couriers & i cant reccommend siaz enough :2thumb:

how long was it before the stretching ?
looks like it tapers twice like a mallow flump sweet thats been pulled :lol2:
haha, its cos its on my coat so it wasn't a flat surface, she's in perfect health:2thumb:

i know what you mean thou, she does look like a sweet too, candy cane:lol2:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.