Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
I’ve got three albino GALS, a beautiful blue and gold macaw and two fur babies!
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I’m somewhat new to owning GALS. My mother had some when I was much younger, but hers since passed away and she has shared her love of creatures with me. I had some queries about how I should set my tank up for my snails. I’ve put the thermostat on the same side as the heat mat (which is stuck to the side of their box) however I don’t know if this will give an inaccurate reading of the temp? I spray (lightly) twice a day, and make sure they have fresh, clean veggies at the beginning of their day (usually when I go to bed lol). If anyone has any answers or tips regarding tank set up please respond! Or any other tips/advice on making sure they get the best of care! :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello, It is great that you are continuing the tradition. I too lost my mother, and seem to have picked up her love of creatures.

As for the snails, They need a constant supply of calcium to keep them shells hard and strong. You can buy a supplement. Also it's important to destroy any eggs, so as not to end up with too many snails lol. If you kill the eggs it's just a goo at that stage.

I think the thermostat/probe should be close to the heat matt, and you should have a thermometer in the tank, and adjust the thermostat until you get the right temp, as a heat matt likely needs to be at 35 degrees or something, to achieve an ambient temp of 30 degrees in the enclosure.

It's also important to bath your Gals. you can put them in a shallow dish of room temp water, and run water over them and gently scrub their shells with a toothbrush.

Sounds like your snails are getting pampered lol, I wish you all the best with them.

Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts