Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where is the best place to get some info on gargoyle geckos as am unable to find any books on them as just been give a pair of them and want to know if i am doing things right?
many thanks james

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
look for care sheets online, you should be able to find something, good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is so little on this site about them are they rare hard to keep or just not populer?

p.s this is my first gecko

many thanks james

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I know nothing about these geckos, but when i just typed "gargoyle gecko care sheets" into my search engine i got 9250 hits, so you should be able to find something.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Gargoyles are not rare as such just not really hit the big time in the UK yet. They are relatives of the Crested Gecko, Rhacodactylus ciliatus, and care is identical. You feed them a diet of Gargoyle gecko diet which is a powder you mix with water to form a gel, and a few crickets a week. you cant go wrong as the GGD has all supplements as long as you mix it as directed.
They are nocturnal so you dont 'need' UVB, and you will need a tank of at least 30 gallons for that pair.
They are arboreal geckos so you need to provide them with climbing apparatus e.g. plants wood and vines and lots of hiding places. they dont need a humid hide but you will need to get a thermomerter and hygrometer. They do not like temperatures about 80F, it is VERY dangerous for them so you wont need a basking lamp, just a small heatmat for winter. They come from New Caledonia so like it about 60% humidity which can be achieved normally with a spray of de-calcified water everyday.
They are not quite as prolific at the Cresteds, but your pair will most likely breed if left in the same tank, and will breed all year round as they have no 'season' as such. you will need to separate them for at least a couple of months a year to stop your female being overbred, stressed and under-calcified.

They should make really good pets, and are easy to keep, but if you find you dont want them, ill have them!! haha good luck..
for great info and to talk to breeders, go to www.pangeareptiles.com/forums

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
They sound cool, Are they aggressive?

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Graz, all geckos are different, a gargoyle is a completely different species to the gecko your taking about ( i assume leopard gecko because of other posts ive read of yours) so no, it is not just 'another morph'

All geckos have very different requirements, if you tried to keep a gargoyle like a leo it would not do very well. A leo is terrestrial, so needs little vertical space, a gargoyle on the other hand is arboreal, so they need as much vertical height as possible so they can climb about.
Gargoyle geckos are partly fruigivious, they can live happily solely on a diet of pre-mixed formula called 'Gargoyle gecko diet' or GGD, leos on the other hand cannot, they must live off a stable of livefoods dusted with supplement.
The geckos need different temperatures, humidities and cage designs.

Please try not to give generalised misleading information to people as it will lead to the wrong advise being followed, it sounds like you need to do some more research!

Sarah

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
oh and to Zilziz, they are more aggressive and bigger than Cresties, which is really the main reason they are not housed together (like the other rhacs, within reason!) But overall theyre not aggressive. They're often described as 'clownish!' i really like them and they're one of the next on my list (hence i know quite alot about them!! hah)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts