Reptile Forums banner

Gargoyle not feeding properly?

744 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Destinyshiva 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm a bit worried about my gargoyle gecko. I now have two, but I am referring to my male of around 8/9 months of age. I've had him since five months.

He has always been pretty skinny, but he's been more skinny recently - he's not been feeding as well as normal, but there have not been any major changes in his environment other than the arrival of my second (female) gargoyle of around 7 months of age, who I've had for three weeks now. His terrarium was moved to make way for hers but this shouldn't have caused distress because it was moved only a foot or so. I am also certain that he is older than her.

I knew he was not a great eater, but I realised that he was probably not exactly normal with it when I got my female. She, in comparison, is a bit pudgy and will eat food ravenously and so I can only assume I have two extremes here...! Or my female eats normally and my male is lagging behind.

I feed them repashy crested gecko diet, and I give them the exact same amounts and consistency. I now give my male two lots of food in two different places to encourage him to eat. He is very underweight for his age. He's in a 30x30x45cm terrarium, as standard for his age.

I'm not feeding crickets at the moment, but I have just purchased a cricket feeder tub with the intention of doing so soon; I intended to wait till I had two till I start feeding crickets, so now that I have two I'll likely use the crickets to encourage his feeding.

Is there anything else I can do? Humidity / temperature stuff? He's kept at a standard humidity for gargoyles, as well as temperature, but if they eat better in certain conditions then this would be great! I'm pretty concerned about him. Anything you guys can suggest to help me get him to eat more and fatten right up would be very helpful indeed! (e.g. my female is younger but already weighs more, and she's even got a half regenerated tail!).

I haven't checked his weight too recently but he was 13g last I checked.

Edit: JUST checked, he's 14g. I saw on an image (http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22035&d=1336571334) that this is around about right for a crested gecko at his age, but since gargs are meant to be larger is their weight scale shifted up a bit?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.