Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm entering the snake world on wednesday and getting two unsexed baby pure plain garter snakes from Julia (wohic).

I've read alot of caresheets and I have got all the stuff I need but the one thing that is confusing me is hibernation, is it neccesary? Do I have to do it? Or is it only if I want to breed the snakes?

Thx
Matt

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
No, it's not really necessary with snakes.
If you were going to breed them it may be required with some species, but not always essential.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, ok, thanks alot mark.

Thx
Matt

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Hope you don't mind me hijacking this Matt but while on Garter snakes... if you decide to treat them at a later date on fish or earthworms could they start turning down normal pinkies again?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem matey! From what I've read, there not a very picky species, they'll eat anything there givin. But that's only what I've read.

Thx
Matt

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I suppose it's possible that they might start turning down rodents after eating fish, but it's unlikely.

The other day, my red-sided tried to eat the piece of kitchen roll that he'd just eaten his mouse off, so, no they're not too fussy!

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Well I know that it can be problematic getting them to eat rodents in the first place.. so didn't know if giving them fish again would do the same as chicks can to other snakes... also.. is it legal to feed them live fish over here or is that under the same rules as mice?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think it's illegal to feed live fish because they are considered stupider than rodents. But I'm not exactly sure, I am positive that it's legal in the U.S. but I'm not sure about the UK.

NOTE:
***NEVER FEED GOLDFISH TO GARTERS!***

They cotain some crap that is very bad for garters!

Thx
Matt

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Yeah ive been reading the garter snake book ive got.. it says to get plec... they like them alot apparently.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hum, I love plecos, got a few in my tropical fish tank. Plus, there £4 each normally. So no snake of mine will be eating plecos.

From what I've read they also really like minnos, but I love them to, I've got a good handful of them. On a plus side they normaly only cost £1 each.

But I hate tadpoles and garters love amphipians, so I'm going to go collect the last of the season :twisted: !

I've just come in from the garden and I managed to find only five worms but a MASSIVE handful of slugs :p !

Thx
Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts