Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriends gecko has recently started having a green puss coming from it's eye. I know this is obviously a very bad sign but any advice would be great!

·
Banned
9,373 Posts
Ok best thing not to panic see if you can clean the area up where the puss is coming out cotton buds with luke warm water nothing added because its the eye. Keep her warm and on kitchen roll until the morning. What area are you in might be able to locate a vet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok best thing not to panic see if you can clean the area up where the puss is coming out cotton buds with luke warm water nothing added because its the eye. Keep her warm and on kitchen roll until the morning. What area are you in might be able to locate a vet.
Yeaa my gf did the whole panic thing by screaming and crying about it dying... She cleaned the eye but the puss just came out again even more. We live in a town called Widnes near liverpool. Thanks for the advice though anymore would be great.

·
Banned
9,373 Posts
Any pics? Best to ID the gecko first. If you can get new pics of the eye now and what its like would help us out. But still best bet is to get to the vets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any pics? Best to ID the gecko first. If you can get new pics of the eye now and what its like would help us out. But still best bet is to get to the vets.

Yea i'll try take a picture with my phone.. Like i said its not my Gecko and my girlfriend seems anti vet due to costs... sigh.. :-x

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
you shouldnt buy any pet if you cant afford to take it to the vets if its ill one day.

·
Banned
9,373 Posts
Sorry mate but if the gecko needs a vet then it needs to go. Im afraid but i don't personally find that acceptable, not to give you a lecture but if you can not afford the vet bills then you shouldnt own the pet ( Tell that to your GF ) Prices aren't that high for a vets. The range from around £25-£30 for consultation then £25 poss less for treatment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know all this and i had already told my girlfriend that but she is as tight as anything. I'll probably end up paying the bill :-/
I thank everyone for their advice anyway. If anyone has any other advice it would be great. But like i said im clueless about Geckos im more of a chinchilla person.
But basicly it laid an egg afew months back went realllllly thin then shedded for months on end and now green puss in her eye.
I cant get a picture on this computer but she is a lep gecko.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep i know about the vets 100% agree. She is in a box with tissue paper and warmth hopefully she will be ok in there for the night.

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Hi

There is lots of advice that could be supplied here, cleaning the eye is part of that.

However, there is a reason for this puss, and whilst removing it all the time may make leo more comfy, it wont stop unless the cause is tackled.

Most likely reason is something in her eye, but, and i need to stress this, there are many other causes that can result in this.

The other thing that worries me is you say she laid an egg, then went down hill.

So there proberbly is some other related cause that needs to be found and treated.

You have come here to ask for help, thats good, but there is only so much we can advise and to be totally honest, your g/f has to bite the bullet and get some vet care.

Leaving it has a very high risk of toxic shock and organ failure both resulting in death.

Leaving it also renders her open to prossicution under the AWA.

Simply, for the sake of leo, your doing the right thing in making her go to the vet, and for the sake of herself, you are helping her to avoid possible legal action.

Once you get an idea of whats going on, which is impossible with out seeing the poor leo, or at least a good photo, and info on the viv, then the vet can help with treatment and we can and will help with advice.

I wish your leo luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts