Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just wanted to know how big would my viv need to be to keep a colony of lepard geckos in (1 adult male and 5 females)

Cheers

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
One male, five females, I'd want to give them a minimum of one square foot of space per gecko - which would be 3 X 2 foot - though 4 X 1.5 would also do.

However, given you'd be housing the male WITH the females, you'd really want to give them as much extra space as possible... if I were going to keep that big a mixed-sex group I'd probably be looking at a 5X1.5-foot viv.

I keep my males in separate enclosures.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok cool i have the 2 adult geckos housed together 1 male 1 female i have 2 females that will join them in a few months and have just seen 2 adult females i would like to buy they would be in a 4x2x2 so i guess i would need a bigger one lol

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
Would you be planning on keeping the male in the viv with the females all year round?
If so i wouldnt advise it unless you want eggs all year round :) as the females can drop a lot of weight if they are continusly gravid.

Also please dont forget about quarentining the new geckos as if you are bringing them in from an outside sorce its highly advisable

Also the new geckos would need to be the same size (ish) as the ones you already have and the recomended breeding weight is above 50 grams :D

Sorry if its stuff you already know :)

EDIT

Just seen you pics of the new geckos you cant put babies that size in with the adults they male will either end up trying to breed with them (much to soon for those lil ones) or just in case one of the lil ones are male and you put it in there the adult male isnt going to like it very much they will end up fighting

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool cheers for the advice i was going to keep the male in with them but having second thoughts now the eggs wont be a problem but i dont want to put the females in any danger or discomfort.

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
You still wouldnt be able to keep babies the size of you new ones in with an adult female they will have to be kept seperate until the babies have grown a lot more

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
ah ok had me worried for a min there.
Some people dont know so we have to presume others dont hope that makes sence lol

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol i know what you mean the 2 babies are in an other viv for now the pet shop said they both look like females but i will be waiting untill they get to the proper size and double checking the sex before they go in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts