Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted something a little while ago asking about different gecko food, and then the other day i came across this recipe, i cant remember where i found it but i just wanted to see what you thought of it. is ok to give baby food to geckos like this? anyway here it is:

In a blender, combine:
1 small can Hill's A/D pet food (available at most vets)
1/4-1/3 cup Ensure (not chocolate)
1 jar baby food squash
1/4-1/3 cup Pedialite
2 crushed tablets or contents of 2 capsules Milk Thistle (herbal supplement, liver purifier, found at most drug stores.)
1/2 tsp. each calcium powder and herp vitamin powder
1 large handful of mealworms, added slowly while mixture is blending
Puree all ingredients until completely smooth, and pour into ice cube tray(s) and freeze. Store cubes in zip-lock bag in the freezer until ready to use, then thaw out 1 cube at a time and store in fridge for 2-3 days. I use the empty baby food jar for this purpose, washing it thoroughly after each batch.

Using this mixture, draw a full dropper (1 ml. eye dropper type) and place a drop on the gecko's nose. It will start to lick it off, and as it does, slowly squeeze out a little at a time. Most geckos love this food, and will lap it up. Patience is the key here.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
looks like a recipe for day geckos...
complicated ain't it!?
baby food is actually pretty good...long as you supplement. i would just dust some baby food and try putting a bit in on a lid so they can lick it...not that i have ever tried it with leos :lol:
works for day geckos, blue tongues and chams though!! :)
might give it a go with one of my leos...got some apple in the cupboard..hmmm....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hmmm...
I recognise that recipe, its called a critical formula.. so basically for very ill lizards that aren't eating and NEED some food.
I wouldn't use this as a staple, what type of gecko is it you have? Gecko's like cresties and day gecko's eat baby food readily, I don't think leo's will really like baby food :?

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
The milk thistle component is supposed to be very good for the kidneys I think.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
well baby food didn't work on my leos...they decided they much preferred wax worms!! however wax worms that had crawled through the baby food were actually pretty tasty..apparantly!!! :lol:

and ensure is basically a meal in a carton...drank by people to ill to eat...
you can buy critical care which is just as good..but only if your rep is ill....although have heard that people put a small amount of cc in their reps water bowl..gives extra vit..don't know how true..???

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I dont keep leopard geckos so please correct me if im wrong but i though that leopard geckos were purely insectivourous (sp?). Cresties and Day geckos are partly fruigivorous and thats why people feed them a little babyfood (though i think that the MRP's are a much better option).

Thats probably why they prefered the waxworms. I know with my tree frogs they only regonise live foods, so they wont touch anything not moving. eg. fruit. just a thought... your efforts are probably in vain

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
MRP's are Meal Replacement Powders, exo terra make one called Crested Gecko Diet.

They are a powder which you mix with water, full of vitamins, fruit extracts and stuff.

You are supposed to be able to use solely MRP as a diet, but our crestie gets MRP, babyfood, fruit and livefood.... variety is the spice of life as they say!!

Emma xXx

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
art,

leos are pretty much insectivores but you never know! mine have been known to lick apples that i have put in for the crickets...you can but try! :) long as it won't hurt them that is...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ive got leopard geckos ... i tried them with a lil bit of baby food and calcium, the female seemed more bothered there was somethin on her nose than eating it but the male loved it. might be something i give just everynow and then. never would of thought they would eat something like baby food! was gunna put mealies in it but mum wouldnt let me use the blender haha :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts