Reptile Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
It must be to do with my mid life crisis but I'm getting very cynical these days. If I read this sad post right, these belonged to your late brother (my condolences by the way)... so how come they have only just started to fight... When you asked for help and advice you were told to house them separately, to which you replied that you didn't have the money to purchase a second enclosure and kit it out with the equipment. Following that you state that one was nearly killed as you had placed it in a box on top of a presumably unregulated heat mat and nearly cooked the poor thing.... When very knowledgeable people both tell you to rehome at least one (and IMO probably best to rehome both as you appear to have no knowledge on how to keep these lizards) you then post up that you now have set up a fully furnished second enclosure and have housed them individually......

Just doesn't feel right and I get the feeling these kind forum members are being trolled......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It must be to do with my mid life crisis but I'm getting very cynical these days. If I read this sad post right, these belonged to your late brother (my condolences by the way)... so how come they have only just started to fight... When you asked for help and advice you were told to house them separately, to which you replied that you didn't have the money to purchase a second enclosure and kit it out with the equipment. Following that you state that one was nearly killed as you had placed it in a box on top of a presumably unregulated heat mat and nearly cooked the poor thing.... When very knowledgeable people both tell you to rehome at least one (and IMO probably best to rehome both as you appear to have no knowledge on how to keep these lizards) you then post up that you now have set up a fully furnished second enclosure and have housed them individually......

Just doesn't feel right and I get the feeling these kind forum members are being trolled......
i was given the new enclosure by a neighbor

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
the real reason i have them is because they where my older brothers and he died from lung cancer and they where his and there the only thing i have left that was his
Sorry to hear that about your brother.
If the geckos are all that your brother left, surely you would want them to be very well looked after. Seems as though that will be best in the care of somebody else..

·
Registered
260 Posts
Everyone please don't take offence with my words, I mean them nicely in just terrible at wording things:

I agree the Geckos need to be well cared for and yes they needed separating, ideally sooner than they were... But they were separated.

Yes they were not cared for correctly, but dakota griffin admitted the mistake and took the time to find out what was needed. I know how easily things can be read or wrote the wrong way or even things missed out.

What I'm trying to focus on is that we need to be more positive to people about what is needed for reptiles....or people won't listen, or might be too afraid to ask.

We all were new reptile owners at some point. Yes I research my reps before buying them, but that's not always possible for people esp in this sort of situation and people don't understand like we do.

dakota griffin - sorry for your loss. I understand why you want to keep them and thank you for separating them. But please understand that we answer you with our knowledge because we care.

Should you have any further questions about care please do still ask or should you feel the need to re-home both or either of the Geckos, please don't feel ashamed... Geckos are not for everyone. I didn't know your late brother, but I'm sure he would understand either way.

What is most important is the well-being of the Geckos....whether that is with you and you understanding the required responsibilities or with someone else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Everyone please don't take offence with my words, I mean them nicely in just terrible at wording things:

I agree the Geckos need to be well cared for and yes they needed separating, ideally sooner than they were... But they were separated.

Yes they were not cared for correctly, but dakota griffin admitted the mistake and took the time to find out what was needed. I know how easily things can be read or wrote the wrong way or even things missed out.

What I'm trying to focus on is that we need to be more positive to people about what is needed for reptiles....or people won't listen, or might be too afraid to ask.

We all were new reptile owners at some point. Yes I research my reps before buying them, but that's not always possible for people esp in this sort of situation and people don't understand like we do.

dakota griffin - sorry for your loss. I understand why you want to keep them and thank you for separating them. But please understand that we answer you with our knowledge because we care.

Should you have any further questions about care please do still ask or should you feel the need to re-home both or either of the Geckos, please don't feel ashamed... Geckos are not for everyone. I didn't know your late brother, but I'm sure he would understand either way.

What is most important is the well-being of the Geckos....whether that is with you and you understanding the required responsibilities or with someone else.
thank you so much

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
I actually feel like most of us were being incredibly understanding and helpful, if the op has sorted the enclosure then brilliant.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Malc

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
I actually feel like most of us were being incredibly understanding and helpful, if the op has sorted the enclosure then brilliant.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
I think that was more directed at me for suggesting the forum was being trolled

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think that was more directed at me for suggesting the forum was being trolled
It wasn't directed at any one. I just want us to remain positive. I agree with all the information given and know one said anything bad, just sometimes we come across a little harsh, mostly because we care. I just know how daunting it can be to ask for help

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
It wasn't directed at any one. I just want us to remain positive. I agree with all the information given and know one said anything bad, just sometimes we come across a little harsh, mostly because we care. I just know how daunting it can be to ask for help
That's pleasing to know.

As I posted above, it might just be my cynical mind... this forum was almost dead. It had gone through several revamps in the past and was still slow. Then a few months back a major update and then this place is buzzing... and all with new first time posters posting topics that are either really obscure questions or posts that seem to designed to get members to bite and rise to the "controversial " subject. I don't keep lizards, not since late 90's but it only takes a couple of minutes to google the species and it would have been clear to the OP that they need to seperate them. What then made me more suspicious that this was a troll was because every suggestion form other members was met with a counter argument as to why that wasn't an option... and then their neighbour gave them suitable set up... None of my neighbours could do that... they don't keep reptiles !

The fact the OP has responded to your post would suggest my suspicions are dumbfounded, and that this was after all a genuine post from a person that through inexperience had a problem, and if that is indeed the case then I apologise to the OP for being blunt or rude.

I still have a hunch that the new site owners have contracted new members in some way (much as you can buy youtube subscribers) but as I say, it's a hunch and just an opinion, and isn't something we can really prove, and if we could there would be little point....

·
Registered
260 Posts
That's pleasing to know.

As I posted above, it might just be my cynical mind... this forum was almost dead. It had gone through several revamps in the past and was still slow. Then a few months back a major update and then this place is buzzing... and all with new first time posters posting topics that are either really obscure questions or posts that seem to designed to get members to bite and rise to the "controversial " subject. I don't keep lizards, not since late 90's but it only takes a couple of minutes to google the species and it would have been clear to the OP that they need to seperate them. What then made me more suspicious that this was a troll was because every suggestion form other members was met with a counter argument as to why that wasn't an option... and then their neighbour gave them suitable set up... None of my neighbours could do that... they don't keep reptiles !

The fact the OP has responded to your post would suggest my suspicions are dumbfounded, and that this was after all a genuine post from a person that through inexperience had a problem, and if that is indeed the case then I apologise to the OP for being blunt or rude.

I still have a hunch that the new site owners have contracted new members in some way (much as you can buy youtube subscribers) but as I say, it's a hunch and just an opinion, and isn't something we can really prove, and if we could there would be little point....
I agree, it's REALLY annoying when people ask for help but then disappear. Makes me not want to help people, but then I remember it's not them, it's the reptile that needs help.
I have no problem with people being blunt, in fact I find it easier when someone gets straight to the point.... I just went to make sure we are encouraging people in the best way we can.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I agree, it's REALLY annoying when people ask for help but then disappear. Makes me not want to help people, but then I remember it's not them, it's the reptile that needs help.
I have no problem with people being blunt, in fact I find it easier when someone gets straight to the point.... I just went to make sure we are encouraging people in the best way we can.
i never disappeared I'm just waiting for the right thing to respond to

21 - 39 of 39 Posts