Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all this questions prob been on here loads before infact i know it has but cant find any

ok so i have 3 leos in 2 diferant tanks and am planning on getting more in the future i used calci sand when i first got them for a week and then was told it impacted them so i moved onto paper wich is fine i then used slate to look abit better but they were eating it so that got changed and luckily they pood it back out or regurged it and no harm was done but i have just got my new viv stack and would like to use a substrate
wat can u sugest?
thanks in advance
dan

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Not sure on geckos, but my BD has just had a slight case of impaction, that she luckily managed to pass herself, that was using sand, i now have lino, it doesnt look as bad as you might think, you can get it in different colours, so can use a sandy colour to make it look more natural.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
tiles tiles tiles :):) looks good , easy clean , NO impaction or you could use kitchen roll but i find crix tend to hide under it

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
I use reptile sand in mine, but then again my steno's love to dig. People always recomend play sand but apparently it containts a chemical in high doses that make it safe for humans but not reptiles. Apparently the only true safe sand to use is reptile sand. If you wish to remove the risk of impactation completly then use linal, kitchen towl, large slate pieces, or simular.

Jay

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wat about wood shavings like u use with snakes???
dan

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
wat about wood shavings like u use with snakes???
dan
It really depends on your preference, keepers have often kept reps on numerious substraits without problem, whilst others suffer impactation. Personally though i believe that wood shavings are a particuly bad idea for geckos and IMO do more damage then good, but again this would depends on the size of the chippings.

Jay

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
i use auboise which mine seem fine on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts