Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am thinking of setting up a gecko set up, and was wounderingwhat geckos i can mix!!!
I was woundering about mixxing geckos togethher, but have a hide to each type. I Know Tokay Geckos can not mix as they are very agressive. But could i mix Leopard Geckos, Green Day Geckos, Crested Geckos etc???

LIZARDman
Gecko lover

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
If you want to mix species then pick a country/area to work with. Then list the habbits of all your possibles (ie nocturnal an terrestrial) so those with the same habbits are all in their own sections. From each of those sections pick your favourite species and then go to dietry needs. Find out what feeds on what and make sure none feed on other geckos as a primary diet.
Once you have a list of species that should in theory be able to live together buy them from someone who is willing to buy them back if things don't work.

From there put them in a housing situation that is SMALLER than your final plan for a month or so. This will show you any problems that may occur. If all goes well move them into the final housing and enjoy your masterpiece.

When done properly you can hav a viv that is active in all areas at all times of the day.

As a side note i have found with geckos that the more hiding places and foliage you put in the more you see the inhabbitants as they feel more secure and more able to hide should they need to.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did a little research on nice geckos i like and was woundering just if any one nows if i can keep Leopard Geckos, Crested Geckos, Gargoyl geckos, green day geckos, and pitcus geckos together?
If not or so is there any other geckos i could put in there??

lizardman
gecko lover

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Ok,

Most places you ask this you get a standard reply of don't house them together, it's bad etc etc etc. I thought it would be nice to try to explain how it can be done with some work. However as you seem to have ignored my reply i wish i hadn't bothered.

As, however, i did reply i will answer anyway:

No you can't keep those species together, they come from different countries and require different environments. The only positive from those species is that they don't all feed on the same diet.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No i did read your post , and reaserch there diets, temps and orgin, but just got basics, so i was just woundering if any one nows for certain that the geckos i like could mix. I don't want to buy geckos and sell them back. i want to buy a mix, that will defo be happy together.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
You must have gone to some poor sites then as Leopard geckos are from Pakistan and cresties/gragoyles from New Caladonia with day geckos coming from Indo (can't remember where pictus come from, suspect malaysia :? )
Ahwell, such is life, now you know.

I'm afraid the simple answer is there is no way to do what you want. The problem is you HAVE to try things to make sure they work, there is no guarantee that species will go together whether they should in theory or not.

A communal viv is a LOT of work to set up but is fascinating and extremely rewarding when you finally get the end product. I spent ages on ours testing out various species in a small viv before moving to a large viv. Once it was done though we had geckos breeding at will and atleast one species out and about no matter what time of day.
I know people who have gone to the extremes of having vivs with lizards and birds in so they can sit in there and enjoy the experience around them.

For me, that's what it is all about. Spending time to get things right and then sitting back and enjoying the rewards of behaviour patterns as close to natural as you can get.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
you could always keep leopards and fat-tails together. the requirements are pretty much the same.

as far as mixing species goes, I've read that cresties and some skink species can be mixed successfully, as long as they are of similar size. also heard success stories of people keeping tokays and white lined/skunk geckos together, and cresties and gargoyles together.

I'd imagine, if you want a nice large display tank, a set up of a small group of female day geckos (possibly different variations of phelsuma) would work pretty well, and would look absolutely gorgeous in a naturalistic set-up

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks
If you could tell me what types of skinks could mix with geckos i would very much apprciate it.
Thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
to be honest from reading your posts here my honest opinion is you shouldnt attempt a communal setup

if you cant put together a accurate and well planned out proposal you are not well enough in experience level to attempt a communal setup

as they are possible but as said tircky

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
not stirring anything. But as far as i kno, communal setups are hardwork to setup and maintain, and should only be attempted by experienced keepers.

You only have a PRB

So unless you've got any previous experience, i wouldn't even consider this for a while.

Oh and for the record whats the point in you being rude to people, yeah if they were rude to you first so what. Its called taking the high road, being the better man etc (or women)

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I am inclined to agree with the above post. Communal setups are hard work and there is no guarantee that you will not have to split the species up at a later date. Your questions suggest you are not overly experienced with reps and as such I couldn't in good conscience recommend a variety of species to you.

Skinks and geckos? I wouldnt really go there... I would be inclined to go for a group of female leos (you could get a variety of morphs if you like to see different looking gex together) as they are simple to keep and will live together peacefully.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THANKS ALOT PENDLEHOG.
I might get some diffrent types of leopard gecks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts