Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been looking at cresties or gargoils but did a search on here and nothing came up for gargoils have I spelt it wrong anyone got any?
or any other gecko other than a leo.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
gargoyles:) you spelt it wrong:)

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
yeaaa you were spelling it wrong :p
:)
i keep and have eggs incubating :)

sarasin also breeding and sells these :)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Cresties are gorgeous, although i have heard that atm they are a bit hard to get hold of especially females. I dont know much about the others though i would love to find out. I love geckos and would like to expand my collection and get few different ones, if we have the space. :)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Gargs are pretty nice Geckos. You can get some relly nice colours if you look hard enough. The grey ones with red stripes are brilliant. :2thumb:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Freekygeeky how often do yours breed/hatchout. I'm working on space issues and am looking at another 4ft tank atm but will be making space soon.

To anyone. when google image search brings up results some of them look so similar to cresties, whats the distance/morphs to get from crestie to gargoyle?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
whats the distance/morphs to get from crestie to gargoyle?
eh? i dont quite understand this. They are part of the same genus, Rhacodactylus and their care is more or less identical. When young especially they have a thing about tail biting, and will often actually eat cagemates tails! (grusome i know!) so most people house them separately, but thats about all the difference there is in husbandry. Some people do keep successful breeding groups, but usually there are tails lost and they can be pretty aggressive so you have to judge it on the individual animals and be ready to split them if necessary.

I'd say Cresties and Gargs were the same 'difficulty' level if thats what you mean.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
eh? i dont quite understand this. They are part of the same genus, Rhacodactylus and their care is more or less identical. When young especially they have a thing about tail biting, and will often actually eat cagemates tails! (grusome i know!) so most people house them separately, but thats about all the difference there is in husbandry. Some people do keep successful breeding groups, but usually there are tails lost and they can be pretty aggressive so you have to judge it on the individual animals and be ready to split them if necessary.

I'd say Cresties and Gargs were the same 'difficulty' level if thats what you mean.
Agree with Art_Gecko, there is no difference to the husbandry of these two species, but don't house them together.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Oh and just reread Rubyrues last post, do you mean can you hybridise Cresties and Gargs? if thats your qu. the answer is not that anyone has managed (or at least admitted they'd managed).

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was meaning colouration sizes, I was looking at pictures and they all seem to have the same sort of features, I'm still learning and thats kinda the point of this thread really to find out all about the differneces.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was just asking how close they are is there any sites that would give me a good source for the links/morphs showing all available variations I want to make sure I find the right geco for me?
I like most geckos except leos which have fat tails I think they look out of proportion, it not a statement to cause argument just what I see when I see them and know they're not for me.

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
i have phtoos on my site of my gargs, i have a few.
i have 8, all different some striped, some reticulated and so on.
I was just asking how close they are is there any sites that would give me a good source for the links/morphs showing all available variations I want to make sure I find the right geco for me?
I like most geckos except leos which have fat tails I think they look out of proportion, it not a statement to cause argument just what I see when I see them and know they're not for me.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Gargoyles come in 2 basic 'morphs' Striped and Reticulated. The reticulated ones look like theyre marbled, so theyre also often called marbled.

Cresteds come in FAR more morphs, lots and lots, I have a morph guide on my website, as well as lots of other info and detailed caresheets, if you want to check it out the address is in my signature... TreasureCrest- High quality Crested Geckos

They can all come in lots of different colours, but not as many people breed Gargs in the UK (there doesnt seem as much of a market for them from what ive seen) so the colours you can get here arnt as crazy bright as the USA gargoyles (some of those are amazing!).

And i dont like Leos fat tails either! dont worry about it! Rhacodactylus geckos make fantastic pets! im sure you'll be hooked in no time!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rhacodactylus geckos make fantastic pets! im sure you'll be hooked in no time!
thats what my girlfriend is worried about. she keeps telling me when I move out it's going to be intersting. I keep looking at the geckos when I pick up crickets for my frogs my girl has to grab my arm and says in my ear 'what about me when are you going to spoil me'. but she knows one day I'll have my geckos :whistling2::2thumb:

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Haha! wait till you discover chahoua (mossy geckos) and Leachies (giant geckos).... oh and Sarasinorum have their charms too! the whole Rhacodactylus genus is just wonderful! and no matter how hard you try... you CANNOT just have 1! there will always be 1 more morph you just HAVE to have! lol i love that theyre so unique but it really makes it hard to limit yourself!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is the last posible viv, got 4ft and 3ft fish tanks 2 exo 1.5x1.5x2ft and soon to be 4ft viv for corn all in my bedroom. the lady has warmed to the idea of just 1 more viv so it's got to be 100% the only gecko I could not live with out. when I say warmed up to.... really she's stopped saying no more.....:2thumb:

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
haha nice one! my boyfriend just doesnt comment any more! but then i do plan every new arrival to the last detail, so its not like i impulse buy! (i justify it that way!)

well when/if you decide exactly what you want, gimme a shout and ill see if ive got anything that matches, or i know quite a few people that breed gargs and cresties so could put you in contact, if you dont see anything exactly right being advertised that is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts