Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, it's me again!! So my fire skink Pete has settled in great, he's eating tonnes of live food, he's shed great and he's tame as anything (even climbed out of his viv onto my hand just then fell asleep on me which I was chuffed about!) but I was just looking for some solid information about a couple of things.
First off I've read they can eat fruit but I was just wondering what kinds and how to approach feeding them to him?
Secondly, how often should juveniles be fed? The place I bought him from wasn't sure on his age but I think he's a baby as his tail is still mottled bluey green/ black.
And finally, how big do they actually get? I can't find a set value for them anywhere :/
Many thanks in advance x

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hiya,

Sounds like you've got a lovely skink. I feed my juveniles every other day. I've found if I leave it longer they get very hungry very quickly! I would guess my male is just over a foot including tail but I might measure him tomorrow and see. I have offered blueberries to all of mine in the past but none of them ate any! You could try it but I wouldn't be surprised if he refused fruit. They are greedy things when it comes to bugs though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's a lovely boy :) any ideas on how to sex them too? Might try him with a little bit of fruit the day after tomorrow, cuz he ate tonnes today :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm afraid I don't know how to sex them. Sorry. Someone else sexed mine for me.
Let me know how it goes with the fruit.:2thumb:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think mine is a bit young to be sexed anyway, as I said he's still blue and black about halfway down his tail :) I shall keep you posted about the fruit, I've got a feeling he is not going to approve :p

·
Registered
214 Posts
I love the blue have on their tails. I've just measured my male and my estimate was spot on, he is almost exactly 1ft.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried him with a blueberry and he literally turned his nose up at it XD think I'll just stick with hoppers :D need to get a tape measure to see how big he i don't think he's anywhere near a foot yet :)

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Mine dont touch any fruit or veg at all, they eat plenty of mealworms, crickets and locusts though and i feed a few of each every day, the females stay smaller than the males and have a more rounded snout, or mine does anyway.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Tried him with a blueberry and he literally turned his nose up at it XD think I'll just stick with hoppers :D :)
:lol2: My juveniles did show a brief interest in their blueberries but quickly lost interest. They were too busy looking for mealworms!

mitsi- How big are yours? I'd be interested to compare.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just to add, I recently bought some earthworms and they have gone down a treat. The skinks absolutely love them! Finding nutritional info has been a bit tricky, this website is the only one I have found so far with earthworms listed and it seems to suggest they have an excellent Ca:p ratio, i.e. about 2:1

Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values

1 - 10 of 10 Posts