Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm new to posting on these forums but have been a long time reader!
I have managed to acquire a tank which was used for an aquarium before i got hold of it!

So my first question is will this be suitable to house a royal? the size is 36inc(L)x15(W)x18(H), and i have covered the all but the front of the tank to make it more VIV looking!

My Second question is are they good pets to own? and care for (keep happy)?

Last but not least what kind of setup do i need? i have read various care sheets and just need clarification on how to properly maintain the correct temps in the tank?

Thanks in advance for your help!

oh one more thing (being cheeky now i know!) but does anyone know of a reliable place to get one from in and around warrington? really after a CB07, want to get it young so i can see him/her grow up!:2thumb:

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm no expert on royals but that tank is too big for a young one. Plus glass isn't really the best material anyway for a viv (generally that is). Good that you have covered up the sides though that always helps for the snakes feelings of security and to keep more heat in.
They are good snakes and very easy to care for, BUT please make sure you get a CB one that is feeding. Also note that lots of people will sell you a CB that is actually WC or CF. Not all will do this but enough will do (inc big companies).
They do have a habit of going off food just like that and then not feeding for ages, or ever.
Basic set up can be a small viv/tub plus heat mat for a young one, once it gets larger I would go for ceramic heating really. Much better heat source and more suitable for heavier bodied snakes (mats can burn them, esp once the snake gets larger). A thermostat is a must whatever heat source you use. I would stay away from heatbulbs/spotbulbs as they produce light which is a waste and may spook the snake if it is switching on and off.

I'm sure other people will give you more advice as well.

Is it just a royal you want ? They are easy snakes to start with but there are other snakes that are just as good if not better. Depends on what you want in a snake.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice, anyone else shed some light on my situation?
Sorry for mithering but i want it to be right!

also if anyone could suggest a good place to get CB royals from in or around warrington?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I'm no expert on royals but that tank is too big for a young one. Plus glass isn't really the best material anyway for a viv (generally that is). Good that you have covered up the sides though that always helps for the snakes feelings of security and to keep more heat in.
They are good snakes and very easy to care for, BUT please make sure you get a CB one that is feeding. Also note that lots of people will sell you a CB that is actually WC or CF. Not all will do this but enough will do (inc big companies).
They do have a habit of going off food just like that and then not feeding for ages, or ever.
Basic set up can be a small viv/tub plus heat mat for a young one, once it gets larger I would go for ceramic heating really. Much better heat source and more suitable for heavier bodied snakes (mats can burn them, esp once the snake gets larger). A thermostat is a must whatever heat source you use. I would stay away from heatbulbs/spotbulbs as they produce light which is a waste and may spook the snake if it is switching on and off.

I'm sure other people will give you more advice as well.

Is it just a royal you want ? They are easy snakes to start with but there are other snakes that are just as good if not better. Depends on what you want in a snake.

Mike
Spot on there. I don't feel a glass tank is suitable either as Mike said, CHE (with stat) is the best way to go with royals.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I don't believe a Royal is an ideal first snake because of the feeding issue. They are well known for refusing to eat for long periods which quite often results in death of the snake. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have my Royal in a glass aquarium size 36inches x 18 x 18. But she is a metre long 3-4 yr old. She's been in there now for 6 weeks and eats fine every week. She's very friendly, she must have had a good handler b4. My 7 yr old daughter loves her. She comes out for exercise most days.
We made a lid out of wood and mesh for her with locks on so she can't escape..lol.... She has a heat mat and heat cable which is only at one end and goes under her water bowl. She has a large water bowl, 2 flower pot hides the same on each end, a big rock and a log. She has jungle bark substrate, but we put cork over the heat mat and cable first so there's no way she can burn herself. I spray the tank once or twice a week to keep the humidity up.
She's our first snake so we're still at the learning stage.....
This site has helped us alot.

Good Luck with getting your first snake.
Hope this helps you a little

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
I don't believe a Royal is an ideal first snake because of the feeding issue. They are well known for refusing to eat for long periods which quite often results in death of the snake. Just my opinion.
So so true, but although this is the general concensus there are those that disagree,

As forthe original question, yes glass is not the best, as when approaching form the top the snake will more than likely think that you are a predator and may strike out in defence, a way around this, would be to put the tank on its side and get some runners and glass and make a sliding door, also cover all sides.(apart from top)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info, I'm gonna use the tank i have for now, until i can afford a nice Viv or perhaps build one myself!

what will be the best method of heating the viv, Heat mat and or lamp?

also do i have heat mats on both sides or just one side with the lamp, gonna custom build the lid i think, the current one does have a tube light (cant think of the name right now), could i use that lid with the light and a heat mat?

thanks for all the help by the way, it is really appreciated:no1:

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
the best form of heating would be a ceramic bulb/fitting with a pulse stat, if ya buy this set up ya can easily transfer it over to the viv when you get it, but remember to buy a guard for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just been looking at the ceramic bulbs, would one of these heat the whole tank or should i still get a heat mat aswell for under the tank?

one last thing should i get both do they need to be on the same side of the tank or opposite ends?

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
150w ceramic will do, no heatmat required (i believe) - if you did have both then same end - u gottta have a cool end and a warm end
3ft is big for a baby though

think many will put you off royals but then a lot of peeps never have problems at all
only had mine 2 weeks so cant speak from experience - but wouldnt be without him :)

corns are best for first snake i reckon - but then you have to get more and more hehe

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Could be wrong here, but I believe that ceramic heating elements should NOT be used in a glass viv due to possibility of the extreme heat cracking the glass.

If you do use a ceramic, in any viv, make sure you use a guard to stop the snake burning itself on the heater. This goes for spot bulbs as well, as the snake can burn itself on these as well with the other possibility of actually breaking the bulb and cutting itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts