Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right..

I would like for somebody that knows anything about genetics to help me here..

I have 1.1 Vipera a. ammodytes that have been breeding several times, they are both gray as groundcolour and have darkgray/black zigzags on their backs. Both looking as the species should do from the location that they are from. I had cluthces from them 3 or 4 times, and all the juveniles have been looking as the parents, ofcourse with some individual differances. Only one of the young ones came out totally different. Black and white instead of gray.

How is that possible? And what is the morph, if it is to be counted for as one?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here´s a couple of pictures, just to show you the differance between the black/white offspring (known as "Zok") and the parents..

Here is tha male..

.. and here is the female.

Introducing... "Zok"..

Zok are also a proud father. I wanted to try the gene, just to see what would happen if I used him as a male in a breedingproject. The felamle is yellowish.

This is what came out:

http://www.terrariummorbidum.se/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I'd guess either co-dom or dominant as some of the offspring look like him. You'd have to breed a baby back to dad to find out which one.

Old thread i know, sorry.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd guess either co-dom or dominant as some of the offspring look like him. You'd have to breed a baby back to dad to find out which one.

Old thread i know, sorry.
No problems that the post is old.. Just grateful that someone is answering..

I will try to breed the black/white male on his mother (gray), just to see what will happend. Good or bad idea?

What do you think that the black/white "morph" should be called??

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
In theory roughly half will be the same as him when bred to his mum. I'm not sure what the exact percentages would be to say what his genetics are to be honest.

I actually thought he looked like the opposite of the original father so something like "reverse" or "inverted" ?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
In theory roughly half will be the same as him when bred to his mum. I'm not sure what the exact percentages would be to say what his genetics are to be honest.

I actually thought he looked like the opposite of the original father so something like "reverse" or "inverted" ?
Ok..

Well, time will show..

Hmm. Well, yes. In a way.. But the father is gray in different "shades" (grayscale), and he is more black/white. The markings are on the same place on both individuals, but are broader on "Zok" that on he´s father..

Maybe: Anerythristic?

Thanks for your answer..

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Do you a deal, if i come up with a good name you let me have some of the offspring come Hamm!!

LOL

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm.. I think that I can manage to come up with a name myself, thanks for the offer though.. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts